Treasure Box Wednesday: What's On Your Walls?


Sujatha from Fluff-n-Stuff tasked me to participate in a meme where we're to describe what's on the walls of the room we're currently in. Since this is a decorating blog, and heck, it was also a bit of a slow thrifting week, I figured you all might not mind if we played along today.

Here's what I see when I'm sitting at my computer...


The "Rose Dreams" print is actually sheet music from the early 1900s which I'd framed. It's hanging on the inside of the closet door by my computer desk. Below it is my handy-dandy memo board where I keep blogging graphics specs I need to remember (and never do), and some pretty cards I just enjoy seeing...


Next on the wall is the first two of three George Hacker art deco prints from around the 1930s. I bought them all separately over a period of a few years at various flea markets...


Here, by the guest bed, we have a mirror I bought for about $3 and painted up to look aged. I like the way the patina turned out. It looks a bit like an interesting relic now. When I got it, it was a poorly-stained brown shade...



Over the guest bed, is the third George Hacker print, and two vintage oval prints I bought from the Goodwill a few years ago. I think they were about $1 a piece...


Here in the far corner is yet another old mirror. I got this one at "Junk for Joy" in Jeanette for $5. Like its cousin mirror, I just had to use a bit of elbow grease to get it clean. Up in the far corner is a porcelain floral plaque from the 1950s...


And last? We have these two prints which I bought separately but seem like they're two angles of the very same scene...


Interestingly, one is signed "Falkenberg" and the other signed "Eckenberg" in precisely the same handwriting, and the style of art, and the rather European look to the scenes are identical. As these were both done around the 1930s, when calendar art companies were looking to make it seem like they had more artists than they really had, I suspect these were both done by the same artist.

Now what his or her name was, however, I absolutely don't know. I've never had any luck finding out information on either Eckenberg or Falkenberg.

So that pretty much wraps it up for this Treasure Box Wednesday.


And, hey, if you'd like to talk about a favorite item on YOUR walls right now, well, I'm all ears for that, too.

Have a great rest of your week!

15 comments:

Sujatha said...

Ah, the power of thrifting! I'm amazed at all your gorgeous finds for only pennies on the dollar.
Thanks for playing along :)

Jenn Thorson said...

Ah, Sujatha- you found out about my post even before I got a chance to pop by and mention it.

We're pretty lucky here in Pittsburgh at being able to find things that don't need a LOT of refurbishment but which have character and don't cost much. I love the stuff that can be done with vintage mirrors.

A bad finish and slightly peeled molding on a mirror which gets a lick of white paint, and suddenly looks like cake icing. Such fun!

Anonymous said...

Just this weekend, I learned I'd be getting a large picture of my great grandmother -- the woman for whom my mother and I were named. Where we're going to put her is still, shall we say, up in the air. And I still need to work out where the infamous sheep-in-the-snow print is going to go!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

The first picture is so shabby chic..I like it a lot! Right now I have a lovely off white stucco wall in front of me....hmmmmm..time to change that?

Anonymous said...

That's very interesting about the last two prints you show. I didn't know that about calendar artist.

Lois said...

You do such great things with your "finds".
I really like the two oval prints. Very pretty frames. I love the framed sheet music. Very nice! What a smart idea that was!
I, myself, have a number of Jim Daly calendars from the last few years. (I get a new wall calendar every year for Christmas and his are one of my favs to receive.) I really like his work. I wish I could afford an original or even a good print. Anyways, I have been saving them to do something special with and now your picture frame idea just clicked for me. Hope you don't mind that I plan on using it. I have a bunch of old frames in the attic that I put away for "one of these days" and the day has arrived.
Thanks!
PS Have a great week!

Carrie said...

You have a very nice atmosphere for working--lovely wall color and beautiful wall accessories.

Anonymous said...

Oh your taste is just.. no words for it, I can just imagine walking through your house going " oooh ahhh" :)
My walls..., well nothing yet because we rent, but when we get our own home one day watch out paint, you will be lost! :)
They are all beautiful prints but my favorite would have to be the last two, from the picture it has that velvety kind of feel that draws you into the scene :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful artwork! I am fortunate enough to be on wifi here at home, so I am currently sitting on my patio, enjoying a lazy, hazy day of summer!

Da Old Man said...

Wow. All I have hanging on my wall is my Yankees calendar. You are the blogging world's Martha Stewart.

Anonymous said...

Hey! What a great blog, we have alot in common! check out mine, www.myguyfriday.blogspot.com !!

Joey :)

Unknown said...

Rhet- Wonderful news about your grandmother's portrait. I hope you'll send snaps once you have it! Would love to see.

Delilah- Definitely there's a lot of Shabby Chic influence in my spare room. The walls are a very dark color, so the whites and creams and lighter woods really balance it out.

Lynn- I'd love to know who the artist really was, if ONE of those names, or neither. There's not a lot of information about a number of these artists from that time period, I'm afraid.

Lois- I'm going to have to look up Jim Daly. I'm not familiar with him. That's what's so fun about blogging-- getting to find out about new things.

Carrie- Thanks so much. I really do enjoy sitting in that room.

Evie- Oh, it's hard with renting where you can't quite get things the way you want. Here's hoping you'll have a more permanent place soon where you can surround yourself with the things you love.

Tracey- Sounds idyllic!-- we're getting rain here right now, so I'm actually sorta glad to be inside! Sounds like you need a lemonade or a nice refreshing summer beverage to go along with your atmosphere.

DaOldMan- Well, knowing how much you adore Martha, I'd say that's a very high compliment indeed!

MyGuyFriday- Ah, vintage shopping in New York would have to be quite the adventure for sure. Thanks for visiting.

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Beautiful pieces!!

Mary L. Briggs said...

Love the George Hacker prints, and the mirrors were a great find! My wall in the room I blog in. . .covered in old family photographs from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Still a ways to go to finish it up, but it's starting to fill up nicely.

Have a great weekend,

R~Mary

Jenn Thorson said...

Vanessa- Thanks much and lovely of you to stop by.

Rose Mary- Oh, that sounds wonderful. I hope you'll take pictures of the photos to show us. I love seeing old photographs.