Treasure Box Wednesday: Looking Ahead to Summer

As spring gives way to summer, we look ahead to warmer weather, vibrant flowers and well-earned vacations. For the thrifter, however, the summer months are not always the best. Thrift store shelves become increasingly bare as spring cleaning yields to summer leisure. Yet today, I don't think you'll be disappointed, since there's always something to talk about in the Treasure Box.

I'd discovered-- really by accident-- a painting on Ebay which pretty much demanded I bid. And perhaps it was due to the impending summer and the lure of the gentle outdoors that meant the usual competition was nowhere to be seen online.

You see here my purchase, a full-fledged Victorian painting done by a "G. Verdier"...


And I imagine with that full view, you've also noticed the painting's unusual and delightfully humorous element. The lady, who looks rather pleased at whatever the outcome of events has been, smiles hopefully at the horizon as the Cupid lies-- asleep? knocked out cold?--- legs akimbo in an upset of roses and arrows and overturned furniture.

Whatever has happened, it's been a serious ordeal for the chubby god of love...


So this has been a real delight for me this week. My only real thrifted goody came in the form of this trio of chicks... Or The Andrews Sisters, if you will. :)


They'll be great for Easter.

Other little joys involve the beauty you just can't buy. The garden is just beginning its summer blooms, and I'll give you a small preliminary tour. Like Big Red here... the first of the roses original to my house.


And here we have a ruffled columbine which planted itself in a compost heap a few years back, and which was transplanted to a little better location...


I don't know what this pink groundcover is, and I don't honestly recall planting it last year, but it's doing marvelously...


A previous year's investment of foxglove means this year, I have foxglove aplenty. I love their impossible-looking spires...


The yard itself looks a bit rough around the edges, I admit. Some of my topiaries haven't made it and need to be removed, and some of the roses need a serious trim. There's still a lot of work to be done in this tiny space...


But as day turns to night, the colors just continue...



I hope you're all having a beautiful summer so far.
  • And for folks who enjoy a chuckle, you may appreciate the gardening tales on my humor blog, Of Cabbages and Kings. Click here for that.
And as always, thanks to each of you for stopping by and hanging out with me. I really do appreciate your visits.

19 comments:

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

Wow. Your painting is great. It reminds me of the lullaby "Rock-A-Bye-Baby," and unfortunately, it seems ..."and down will come baby, cradle and all," has happened here.

Your garden is lovely and I want to walk and spend time there. You are very romantic and it is so refreshing.

Jenn Thorson said...

Theresa- Heh, it's a good analogy... Rock-a-Bye Baby to the XTreme! :) (Poor little fella, what a headache he's going to wake up with.)

The garden is small, but it's peaceful to sit on the back porch and see.

Well, peaceful until I start seeing things that need to be weeded, anyway. :)

Thanks for stopping by!!

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful painting. Delighted you got it and on Ebay too! Well done...Pam

Anonymous said...

I guess she was just fed up with Cupid's arrows just going any ol' place. Or maybe she was tired of the stupid suitors. In any case, wonderful painting.

Jenn Thorson said...

Pam- It was pure luck, but I'm not complaining. It's perfect, hanging there in my entryway. And the cherub makes me laugh.

Chyna- It's certainly a theory. Or else he worked so hard to get her to be in love, he's all tuckered out now. But that doesn't explain the overturned furniture!

Lois said...

The poor little cherub. Maybe he was just faint with desire and passed out? Hmmmm...
I like your garden. It is amazing what people do with small spaces.
I really enjoy your blog.

Jenn Thorson said...

Lois- Your guess is absolutely as good as any! Whatever happened, it wasn't easy on our little friend. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm delighted to have you visit.

Lidian said...

What a gorgeous garden you have - we have just a smallish backyard too, but it is lovely this time of year. I grew up in an apartment so I always appreciate it.

And I love the chicks!

Anne Coleman said...

Oh, those chicks! How sweet. Something I would have bought myself.

Carrie said...

The painting was a nice eBay find. Aren't you glad for sping and the opportunity to enjoy gardens and gardening.
It was so good to have you visit recently. Do drop by again soon to see my rhododendrons in bloom.

Jenn Thorson said...

Hi Lidian- Yup, after you've been in apartments, any space that's your own is just so wonderful.

Hey Anne!- The chicks were way too funnay (and cheap) to pass up. I don't know if they're very old or not, but they have some personality.

Carrie- Oh, I KNOW, I'm totally behind in my visiting. I've got this big medical writing project I'm doing at work, plus trying to keep up with the blog posts, so I'm not getting to make the rounds as I like. I promise, I will pop by this week.

Moon Spirit said...

Love the garden pictures. I love to garden also and your photos are very inspiring!!

Cami said...

I love your garden. We built a chicken coop when we moved in two years ago and have been focusing on the inside ever since. So your garden is paradise to me!!! Love your painting. And your chickies. Too cute!

SewDelish said...

Love the chicks and your garden is gorgeous!

Mary L. Briggs said...

Hi Jenn, thanks so much for stopping by my blog~I always love a visit from you!

I love your painting~but poor little cupid! It's a shame we don't know the 'story' behind the picture!

Your garden is coming along--your flowers are so pretty. I've still lots and lots of work to do in mine~which is one excuse for my neglectful blogging and commenting.

Hope you're having a great start to summer.

R~Mary

Jenn Thorson said...

Moonspirit- Thanks much! It still needs a lot of work, but it's getting there.

Cami- Well, I'm sure your chickens are happy-- and getting the inside just right is a time-consuming task. I hope it's coming along well!

Sewdelish- Hey, thank you. The chicks are just funny. I like that there are three of them-- it just seems right.

Solicity Sock Monkey said...

So glad to find a kindred soul who loves to find beauty and humor combined when thrifting. "The Andrew Sisters" I see it! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the laughs... I always get a chuckle when reading your blog.

I think the unidentifed pink flowers are soapwort. Dave's Garden might help you verify.

Jenn Thorson said...

Petticoat Posse- Ha, glad someone else saw the singing potential in the chick trio. :)

Anonymous- Thanks very much for the soapwort lead! That gives me something to go on. I'll check it out at Dave's Garden. It's funny how we try to organize our gardens and then something like soapwort appears. I never know if it's blown in from other yards, or I had early Alzheimers and just didn't remember planting the darned thing! :)