Treasure Box Wednesday: With Tuesday Morning


It was on Saturday, I discovered Tuesday Morning. The store, I mean. It had been added to a strip mall near our city's only Trader Joe's. Having heard the good ladies on the Holidays board of GardenWeb speak so highly of the place in terms of thrifty bargains, I was eager to see what it had to offer.

And what fun it was! I thought you all might enjoy seeing what I uncovered. As you can see, I really managed to find decor for about every holiday there is! Well, I think I'm missing St. Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving, but I didn't want to get too carried away.


These creepy-fun pumpkinheaded fellows reminded me of the art on vintage Halloween cards. This particular grinning guy brandishes a bat on a spring...


While our second Jack o' Lantern has a bobbling head and a big crepe paper "Boo."


And who is that beside him? Why, Santa, naturally-- who else did you expect to see? I mean, haven't you heard the story about how Santa goes door to door trick-or-treating to get free goodies to regift for stockings at Christmastime?...


Okay, you're probably not buying that, are you?... Well, I gave it a shot. I liked how Santa had an old world style, and was covered in sugary glitter. (Crafter Rosemary of Rose's Petite Maison knows all too well about this kind of old timey glitter-- eh, Rosemary? :) )

And who do we see there hopping before Santa? If it isn't Peter Cottontail. A 50% of 50% discount on this little bunny box made it $1!


Then back to the North Pole we go, with a papier mache castle, and a teeny plastic Santa...


We leave Tuesday Morning on this Saturday excursion, and pop by Mahla Antiques in the Strip District. This is where I got two English commemorative plates. The first commemorates the crowning of Elizabeth II, from 1958...


You can see the crest and the photo a bit better here...


And the second is from 1937, and commemorates the Coronation of King George and Queen Elizabeth. I like how subtle the royal symbol is on this dish-- just worked there into the center of the pattern...


And you can see the back here...

Lastly, here are just a few things I uncovered at the same rummage sale where I netted that box of 42 vintage hankies. This cookbook promises to be fun. Another Lea & Perrins cookbook, this one I believe is from the 40s...


For $0.10 was this TV Radio Mirror Magazine from the 50s. I thought it would be fun to see what was going on in Hollywood at the time.

And as our friend Porky Pig used to say, "That's all, folks!"


Otherwise, perhaps I'll see you this coming Sunday, or thereabouts. Take care!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice scores at Tuesday Morning. I haven't stopped by in a while -- and I really like that pumpkin head!

liggy girl said...

I just love your recent holiday findings and the commemoration plates OMG! Great stuff. If you EVER come across mercury glass please get it hehe or let me know!!! That is my latest thing to collect. :) Keep thrifting girl!!

Da Old Man said...

I love the vintage magazines and cookbooks and the perspective you bring. I am so looking forward to the Lea and Perrins recipes.
I have a bunch of old National Geographics (1910 or so) that just crack me up.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I love Tuesday Morning. It has some great deals!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! I love Tuesday Morning. It has some great deals!

Anonymous said...

Your Tuesday Morning must be nicer than mine. I finally made it into my local one and was let down, the pricing didn't seem all that great. Though I did get a hot pink with rhinestones dog collar for one of my dogs for cheap.

Love the plates. What do you plan on doing with them? My grandma had a ledge built up high in their house that surrounded the kitchen and chock full of plates. I was fun to sit at the table and look at them.

Anonymous said...

Barb- Hey, thanks!

liggy girl- Oh, gosh- I can't say I've ever actually seen a mercury glass piece in person-- maybe on Cash in the Attic. :)

Da Old Man- I really have fun looking for the old ephemera. I don't see National Geographics much anymore-- I think people like you are seeing them as collectible.

Mary- I'm starting to find that out! It's a lot of fun.

Chyna- If one dog is dolled up with bling, does the other get jealous?:)

Re: the plates, I have a built in cabinet which has some commemorative pieces in it, so I'll probably add them there.

Unknown said...

Great bargains, made me smile which I needed today x

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Wow, looks and sounds like a great place...I'll have to talk to my friend Josie about it...maybe she can take me there some time.

Carrie said...

You did great at each of your stops. The commemorative plates are really special.

Deb said...

Hi Jen....love those pumpkin-heads!!! Hop over to my blog - I just blog-tagged you with an award. And may I wish you...."Much Success in Seasoning"....LOLOL

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great stuff! Thank for sharing.

Jenn Thorson said...

Dawn- Nothing better than making someone smile!

Kim- I hope you get a chance to go and see what you think.

Carrie- Thank you-- I was pleased to find something that's probably pretty plentiful in England, but rather unusual here. The shop has a lot of Staffordshire, too.

Debbie- Hi there- I'll have to check it out. :)