Treasure Box Wednesday: Missing Pieces, McCoy, and One Embarrassing Broken Promise


You know, I wasn't even going to go thrifting today.

Really, I wasn't. It was cold, windy... the kind of day when it's easier to just sit at my desk for lunch.

But then I realized the needle on the gasoline meter was heading toward the danger-of-breaking-down zone. And, hey, what's right near the gas station but my favorite Salvation Army?

So I hopped in my car cruising on fumes, and boy-- was I rewarded!

See this lovely little flowerpot?...


One look at that ornate beaded pottery, and I had a good feeling about what it might be. I popped it off the shelf, turned it over and...

Voila! The real McCoy! I had that in my shopping basket pretty fast.

I got a good laugh from the following notepad...


Fans of The Office will know which character this little "While You Were Out" pad is supposed to belong to. Do you think Corporate should be made aware that Ryan is either reselling or outright donating Dunder Mifflin corporate merchandise? :)

I got these Araroc pink cups and saucers-- still with the stickers on, for half price!...


I have a number of pieces to this set already, but it's always nice to find different ones. And while they're not actually Depression glass, the pink is the same shade and they do work well with real Depression pieces. I was pretty excited. Especially at $0.50 a piece.

I also got recently a cheerful tin which will be perfect for wrapping gifts in for friends who also like vintage...


Oh... and this is the part of the post where I have to confess to you all an ugly, ugly truth.

(Deep breath...)

You know how I'd promised to you all at the end of 2008 that I was going to try not to buy any more vintage lamps?...


Well... um... did any of you actually believe me?...

I'm so embarrassed. (Well, maybe only a little because, y'know, I still really like the lamp.)

And with that, my head hanging in red-faced humiliation, I must take my leave of you today. I know, now none of you will trust me on anything ever again, because of my shameful lamp indiscretions...

But I hope you can see your way past it to forgive me... perhaps in time.


Otherwise, I hope you can manage to get over the breach of trust enough to check out The Thrift Shop Romantic again on Sunday. Cheers, everybody!

20 comments:

Da Old Man said...

You are forgiven with the lamp.

Nice score with the pot, though. I just read that again, and realized you may be getting a visit from the DEA if they read that without reading your post.
:)

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh we forgive you for the lamp purchased. I would have purchased it too! I can see the beauty in it. . . a quick coat of while Kilz spray paint, then creamy white sprap paint over that. Distressed a bit. BEAUTIFUL. Lucky you!

Blessings,

Sher

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh we forgive you for the lamp purchased. I would have purchased it too! I can see the beauty in it. . . a quick coat of while Kilz spray paint, then creamy white sprap paint over that. Distressed a bit. BEAUTIFUL. Lucky you!

Blessings,

Sher

Anonymous said...

No I really didn't believe you about the New Year's type resolution to not buy another lamp. So no harm and no foul. :)

Great buy on the flower pot and the cups. The best thing I can find while filling the tank on my car is outdated gift flower seeds. Hehehehe

Tolentreasures said...

Thrifting on your lunch break? Lucky you! The nearest thrift shop to my lunch break is 20 miles away...great finds!

Cathy

TexNan said...

Now that's a cool lamp. And while you say you don't need any more, I still do so don't be turning your back around me, ya hear?

Anonymous said...

Love the pot/planter - can I ask how much the (real) McCoy was?

Anonymous said...

Sweet finds! Love the flower pot :)

Anonymous said...

Love that lamp! Another reason NOT to make New Year's Resolutions. Like you, I'm a lamp girl, a chandelier girl, a candle girl, hey "LET THERE BE LIGHT"! My only problem is, that I have too many lamps and not enough outlets for everything! But, that's a good problem, right?
Those pink dishes are so awesome. I do have quite a bit of pink depression glass and I think that mixing new with old is really a great idea. It looks like you had a very productive lunch break!

Jenn Thorson said...

Da Old Man- Heh, not quite the sort of audience TSR needs, huh? :)

Sher- Aww, you're too kind! I love it when folks see why something was purchased, too.

Chyna- Well, YOU know the depth of my lamp addiction. You've been hearing about my lamps for some years. I didn't really expect you to believe me. But hey, I held out over a month before I bought another lamp. I think that's pretty good.

Cathy- I know, I do feel lucky. I have two thrifts I can go to, if I drive. I usually hit only one per lunch break, so it's not in such a breakneck pace! :)

TexNan- AH! What was I thinking?! Of course, who am I to deny others the possibility of lampy goodness? :) I have actually thought of selling them at some point, just so I could keep finding them. It's an ugly addiction. :)

Grunge-Queen- It was high in terms of thrift store prices, at $20, (because I think they knew what it was) but not high for antique malls for the same thing, as I've been price shopping. Plus, my money goes to the charity, so it worked out for everybody. It's also not damaged in any way. So that's pretty cool, too.

Down Comforter- Hey thanks!

Andrea- Oh, that's right-- you have lamp addiction, too. (Cool!) Yes, the pink glass looks almost exactly like another Swirl depression glass mold that was done. I figure if my guests are looking that closely at the cups, they deserve what they find. :)

Unknown said...

Would it make you feel better if I admitted that I didn't believe you'd kick your lamp addiction curbside?
Hugs,
Sher

Janelle said...

I am consumed with envy that your Salvation Army would even have such things. All our thrift stores usually have is Chinese crap.

That McCoy is so neat--what a unique pattern! Love it! And the lamp is awesome, how would you ever have been able to forgive yourself if you'd passed it by? Right?

Anonymous said...

WOW! Beautiful, Its really great....

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What great finds, I especially love the McCoy pot. No guilt on the lamp, you are helping the economy and people buy buying at Sally's.

Erica said...

I love the turquoise pot, you are so lucky!

Felicia said...

Lovely treasures :)

Anonymous said...

Sher- Oh noes! Another one who never believed me in the first place-- my credibility is sunk! :)

Janelle- Yepper, and I'm totally going with your lamp excuse. It works. :)

Bec- Yes, the McCoy was an unusual thing to find these days. And I WOULD rather give my money to the thrifts than an antique mall (even though I love antiquing), so it works out.

Erica and Felicia- Thanks a bunch, and thanks for stopping by, too!!

Lord, I want to be whole said...

I love the Dunder Mifflin notepad! I'm a huge fan of the show!

Lovely lamp, I wouldn't be able to resist either!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. That McCoy is quite a find!! I looove that color, congrats!

Anonymous said...

HAHA, I have the same lamp in my living room downstairs.