Painted Lady

Apologies that my Sunday post is a little late today compared to some days. But I have an excuse I do believe you'll all understand. You see, I've been painting furniture...

And painting furniture...

And painting furniture.

Yes, folks, at my house it's been one of those marathon "Let's Just Get This Done" sessions filled with excited ambition... and which always somehow manages to take four times longer than you initially expect.

The project? Furniture and accessories to be used in my blue sitting room. If you recall the other day, the endtables started out like this and I was about to give them a touch of off-white paint...

And here's the first coat for comparison!...

Ya just don't realize how many sides and fiddly bits there are to a small endtable like this until you have to cover it in three coats of paint, let me tell you! Just when I'd think I'd gotten it all covered, I'd see it from another angle and realize--- oh, NOOOOOO!--- I missed a section.

One of the endtables is pretty much done with the exception of a clear topcoat. The other still has a way to go yet-- and then there's a matching coffetable to tackle.

So while I was... um.. watching paint dry, I started priming this antique fire surround I got at the Construction Junction architectural salvage store...

Some good ol' Rustoleum should keep that rusty section at bay. Then this will get a coat of the off-white paint I'm using on the furniture. I think it will be pretty in the blue room, as part of a makeshift faux fireplace I'm hoping to add in there.

Here you can see it all primed up!


And here's a close-up on the detail. Gotta love those elaborate vines and berries climbing along it...And because I hadn't already gotten myself in enough trouble with painting projects, I ended up painting the black base of a bust I want to use in that room. (Don't worry, the bust was from TJ Maxx, not any priceless antique!) You can see here in the lefthand side of the photo below...

And I also worked over this thrifted lamp...

It's a strange little cherub on it-- I'm guessing it's from the 70s. But I think the antique white paint doesn't look too bad...

This was the first coat. I'll need to do at least one more to even it out. But you can get a sense of how it will be.

Anyway, that's where we stand today. As I get things finished and moved into the room, I'll give you all a little update.

The next Thrift Shop Romantic post will be Wednesday. Oh, and while I remember, I want to thank everyone who has subscribed to the The Thrift Shop Romantic RSS feed. I'm really delighted to have you all share in the thrifting and decorating adventures.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

How beautiful! You are a very gifted lady!

I spent all afternoon at flea markets. Captured a few finds that I want to redo.

Blessings,

Andrea

slmpetersen said...

I think it all looks wonderful, but I really love the way the lamp turned out. It really is a much better piece now that it is painted. Gives it a "marble" look to it.

Carmen said...

Sweet monkey, I know what you mean about painting something and finding all those little crevices without paint. I bought a seemingly harmless, antique French colonial style table for $15 at a rummage sale. "All I have to do is strip the paint and stain it."

Pfft, silly me.

Lovely pieces as always!

Unknown said...

Andrea- That sounds like such a great way to spend the day to me!! I hope they turn out well.

Simpetersen- Thank you, I'm pretty darned happy with the lamp myself. Funny that a bit of paint can completely change the impression and sense of... quality... about a piece.

Carmen- Oh yes, getting paint off is every bit as painful as slapping it on. I know just what you mean. And the more detail, the more it seems impossible to remove.

Stella said...

Love the harp shape on the table. Looks great painted. Paint did amazing things for the lamp. Can't wait to see all of it in place. Thanks for sharing.

jane said...

I love those end tables.
I waaant!

Makes me wonder what I can do around our place...

Jenn Thorson said...

Stelle- Heh, I can't wait to see it either-- we'll BOTH be surprised. :)

Jane- Oh there's always something that can be done with a place-- and cheap. I bet you'll come up with something!

chyna said...

what no Zinsser primer? memmey is going to have to come up there and have a little talk with you. LOL

Oooo I can't wait to see the blue and white room. that is one of my dreams to paint a room that color. My kitchen almost ended up those colors but I chickened. Glad I went with pink though, way more things go with it.

Down Pillow said...

I love the fire surround - the detail really shows up with the white paint :)

Lisa said...

Any interest in a few more end tables with the lyre style side pieces? You were the only posting on the web, that I could find, with a similar table, as the three that my father has had in his house for the last 58 years. We were trying to find a value for them, despite that fact that they are very worn and need to be turned around with paint. I like what you did painting the ones you posted, white. We are in Michigan, if that matters, emptying out my dad's house, and my sister was about to toss 'em to a garage sale. I said let's see if anything shows up on the internet...to determine a value for them.