Treasure Box Wednesday: Warm Blankets and Warm Thanks

Sunshine and above-freezing temperatures are slowly transforming our arctic circle into more of a free-flowing puddle. The polar bears are packing their bags for cooler climbs. And I was actually able to peek my head out, groundhog style, for some brief lunchtime thrifting.

Interestingly, perhaps it was simple coincidence, or possibly where my brain's been at, but both items I discovered were of the snug blanket persuasion, and both came from Goodwill via Target.

The first is a still-in-the-package down comforter...
I've been coveting the one in my guest room for a while and thought this was a perfect opportunity to snap one up for my own bed. The right duvet cover and-- voila!... No posting will get done as the Thrift Shop Romantic enjoys some quality naptime.

The second thing I found was something I'd actually eyed up in Target, but I didn't want to pay the price... A deliciously soft pale green Rachel Ashwell Shabby Chic blanket...

Still tied with Ms. Ashwell's signature pink ribbon, I had to chuckle that the Thrifting Gods not only presented this snug opportunity to me at an amazingly reduced price from the store-- but that it was in my preferred color, as well.

And lastly, before we go today, and on the theme of warmth-- I just really wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all for being such an enthusiastic, kind and creative bunch of readers.

In a time where the world feels a little off-kilter and strange due to the economy... where tempers flair and there don't seem to be a lot of solutions... it's a real joy to come here and interact with you all.

Your interest in everything, your ideas, and your humor truly do make every project-- in whatever stage it happens to be-- more fun, more "possible" and more worthwhile whether it succeeds or not.

Thanks so much for hanging out and learning along with me. I count your good cheer and curiosity as some of the best things about each and every week.

7 comments:

Andrea said...

Gee Willikers! I'm green with envy. I am a cozy blanket freak....I'm a cuddle-junkie. Linus needs to go thrifting with you. I love down comforters, down pillows, down couches....????
If there are down couches, I want one! And that blanket! Looks softer than velour. To get both of those at a thrift store is a real feat.
BTW...all of the employees at our GW were fired!!! It's all hush-hush. They are taking apps for new employees now, and brought people in from out of town. They aren't nearly as friendly...):
I was so "down" about it...I only spent 99 cents!!!!!! I bought a necklace and I think that I tossed it in the trash by accident at home and the trash is GONE...so I have nothing to show. Wow!! Double whammy!
Check out my blog for the finished buffet project.

Jenn Thorson said...

Andrea- Oh, yes, I love things like fuzzy blankets and fluffy socks myself. Irresistible! I wonder what the deal was with your Goodwill, then... that's really strange. Restructuring, or actual staff issues?

I'm sorry about your necklace. I've done that with eyeliner.

Marie said...

I am always on the lookout at Goodwill for new Target goods- usually something I wanted a Target but wouldn't buy until it went on sale and then I missed! I find great shoes now and then like that (recently three pair at one store!)
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Happy Chinese New Year giveaway

dawt said...

I'm fairly new to your blog and wanted to let you know how excited I get when I see it via my email. I'm a life-long thrifter and when I see and read about your finds, I genuinely feel the thrill of the hunt and find right along with you!

I appreciate what you do for the very same reasons you are thankful for your readers. It truly is an escape from what can sometimes be an unfriendly, scary world, so thank you for providing this comfy place in which to escape. I can't wait to see what other goodies are yet to be discovered!

Jenn Thorson said...

Marie- I've seen some of those shoes you mention. It's always exciting to see what awaits!

Dawt- I love that we all enjoy going vicarious thrifting through other people's shopping. And thank you... I'm delighted you enjoy the emails. That's really what it's all about.

Lois said...

Hi Jenn!
Great finds....good for you girl!
I sleep with just a cotton sheet and a old thin cotton comforter only. Otherwise I get too hot and those stupid hot flashes start up again. As long as my feet stay warm I'm OK for sleeping. The only warm fuzzy thing in my bed, besides my cat, is my fuzzy bed socks.(my Hubby snores way too much and too loudly so he is delegated to the spare bedroom so I can get a full nights sleep) I use my fuzzy socks only for sleeping in bed and take them off if my feet need to touch the floor for any reason. They are the ugliest green stripped things you would ever want to see, but they are so soft and warm and they keep my feet from freezing. My window is never closed and the furnace is turned way down at night. If my feet don't stay warm I will keep waking up. So I sleep with them on. (but they don't cause hot flashes like fuzzy blankets do...Weird huh?) LOL!
Anyway, thanks for sharing your great find and have a great weekend!
Lois

Colleen said...

Hi Jenn! Love, love, love the sage green blankie! I'm getting so antsy to go thrifting again! With all this snow, it's difficult to even get up the hill to my mailbox, let alone make my way to the GW. Guess I'll have to "thrift vicariously" thru your adventures for a bit longer! Thank goodness for your posts...I'd probably go into withdrawals without them :) Thanks again for being there!!