Treasure Box Wednesday: Thrifting the Sunshine State and Beyond


On the infamous Black Friday, where everyone was wending their way through shopping malls to find the perfect gifts, my dad and I were actually taking a road far less traveled, hitting the thrift stores and antique shops of Dad's region in Florida.

In an antique mall in Homestead, I ran across a most unusual find.

See the tots posing above? Those are copies of photos taken by Alice in Wonderland author Lewis Carroll!... And see this somewhat scowling little lady?

That's the Alice for whom the story character was named-- Alice Liddell. Now the boy here...

..He's Arthur Hughes, Jr., son of the late pre-Raphaelite artist, Arthur Hughes.

I had known Lewis Carroll did photography, but had never seen copies of his work anywhere, except for in books featuring this shot of Alice. These small, decorative prints were located in a booth with other Victoriana, such as postcards similar to the border design.

And it's true that it was the border design that first caught my eye. As a fan of Carroll's work, and well familiar with Arthur Hughes' art, this was seriously exciting for me. Happily, such flat prints fit beautifully in a piece of luggage!

When we made our next stop, at the Goodwill Thrift Store in Naranja, I came across a few pieces of 50s Christmas decor...


The center figure in the set is a cleverly-disguised bell. The "N" and the "L" presumably spelled out "noel" at one time, but I suspect the "O" and "E" were a casualty of a holiday oopsy past...


Still, the little figures have such nice faces. I think I can probably glitter myself up an interesting paper "O" and "E" to fill in the rest. Based on the holes at the top of the letters, it looks like they were candleholders.


The next day, at a flea market on Key Largo, I came across a nice set of pink depression glass candlesticks...


And I also found this fun set of children's vintage hankies, in its original decorative box. (Also flat, and easy to put in carry-on luggage!)...


Tuesday back at home, I decided to pop to the thrift stores at lunch time. And wow, was I glad I did, when I found a piece of marigold carnival glass...


It's got some nice pink iridescence going on. I still need to look up the pattern and learn more about it. I really doubt it's from the early 1900s, but I imagine it may be made from some of the early molds. I'm not educated enough yet in this to know-- I mainly just know what I like!

Last, I had to pick up this pretty shell pink piece. It was just $0.79 and since I've seen these go for upwards of $12, I thought it might be a good investment, or work well in a gift basket with other goodies...


Anyway, that's what's in The Thrift Shop Romantic's treasure box this week.


And if you did, why, perhaps I'll see you back here again on Sunday for our next post.

Cheers, m'dears!

13 comments:

Da Old Man said...

Those Lewis Carroll prints were some amazing find. Thanks for sharing these things, as I always learn so much with the background stories you provide.

Anonymous said...

The prints are so adorable. I would have picked them up just for that reason alone and then to learn they are from someone famous is a major bonus.

Good finds as usual. You make me so jealous I may have to quit coming in here. ;)

Anonymous said...

Da Old Man- I'm happy to share. I often wish I knew more solid information to share with everyone, but it's not always easily available.

Chyna- Oh, I'm glad you like little Alice, too. I saw here and thought, "I know that kid! I've seen her before!" It was a great surprise. And instead of being jealous, you and your husband just need to come out to Pittsburgh sometime, and he can go see the Steelers, and we can go thrifting!!

the author said...

Oh gosh yes, incredible finds!

Janelle said...

The cover picture on that hankie box makes me think of the grandfather's hut in the Alps in "Heidi." Did you ever read that book?

Love your carnival glass finds. I only have a couple of pieces, but there's something really appealing about them!

Jenn Thorson said...

MizSmoochieLips- Heya, hope you had a good Thanksgiving!!

Janelle- Yes, you're right, it does rather look like something from Heidi, doesn't it? I've seen that image done as prints sometimes, too, in around the 1930s. Shocking the hankies came in that kind of box, really.

Carrie said...

Great finds.

Thank you for your visits to my nativity blog. I just wanted to let you know that I just posted about the second holiday giveaway. Here's the link:
http://carolanativitygallery.blogspot.com/2008/12/second-holiday-giveaway.html
Carrie

Melanie said...

What great finds! Love the little Noel pieces, I believe my grandmother once had a set like that. they look very famliar anyway.

kittyanydots said...

i love thrifting! those kiddos hankies are soo cute!

Lana Gramlich said...

Tres bien!
I treated myself to a trip to the 2nd hand store today & came home with $29 worth of funky colored glass things & some frames (for paintings.) Nothing like spending under $30, but coming home with 5 bags of stuff!

Anonymous said...

I share your love of anything Lewis Carroll, especially Alice In Wonderland. What a fantastic find! Your pictures are always wonderful and I so enjoy your light-hearted words!

Anonymous said...

Carrie- Gosh, you've been a busy lady lately, it seems-- more than even usual!!

Noel- That would probably be around the right time period! I recall my grandmother having some figures, possibly not candlesticks, that were in a similar style.

Kitty- Thanks, yes, there were great graphics for storybook characters then, weren't there?

Lana- FIVE bags? Holy heck. That's a LOT of goodies. Congrats!!

Andrea- Thanks very much! :)

Jen said...

Those NOEL letters? My grandma & grandpa have that set...the whole thing...and it always goes on the piano.

It is a tradition for my uncle to change the letters around to read "LEON" during the Sunday-before-Christmas party.