Treasure Box Wednesday: Quacking Up With Spwing Fever



The daffodils have sprung up in the yard, and I admit-- I'm feeling a bit daffy! The fever has crept in, and I find the sunshine distracts... the warm wind whispers in my ear of antiquing roadtrips westward. But alas-- practicality wins out. Weekends await.

And I was, at least, very practical about the cost of these pretty aqua and pink placemats from Big Lots...

At $1 a piece, you can't really go wrong. I like them very much with the current diningroom theme. Just about the right shade with the McCoy planter and the glass on the mantle, I think.


Can I offer you a cup of tea?

I found another thing I thought you all might get a kick out of. Is it a Nancy Drew book?...


Nope! It's a nice lined notebook, precisely novel-sized. And look at the attention to detail with this. The inside cover is a replica of the endpapers in the original 50s book...


And then the nicely lined pages are filled with little illustrations from the novel...


I do so much writing, this just seemed like it would be really handy.

At the St. Vincent de Paul in Monroeville, I found this large Imperial Harvest centerpiece bowl in amber carnival glass...

My friend Scoobie had gotten me one for my birthday a year or so ago-- and I love it-- so I was thinking when Fall rolls around, it might be nice to have this second one. At $5, the price was right.

And so, I bet you're wondering... what's all this about quacking up?

Well, I was rooting around in one of my cabinets and I found a few of my feathered friends for Easter. How cute are these little ducklings? So realistically painted and whimsical, right now they're hanging out on my entryway lamp table, but we'll see where they turn up for the holiday.

They're there with these little ladies...


You may remember, they're the chicks I'd dubbed "the MacGuire Sisters" last year. They make me smile, too. Hey, would now be a good time to mention, I'm on Twitter?

Oh, and I found a little freebie for you folks, for this Treasure Box!...

You can download some public domain audiobooks for free-- one of which is a favorite of mine:

The humor story Right Ho, Jeeves, by PG Wodehouse. If you click here, you can download all or part of the MP3 files of this book. I actually ride around to this version on my commute sometimes.

Listen as Bertie Wooster and his brainbox of a butler, Jeeves, twist and turn in a hilariously confusing plot of angry aunts, wishy-washy chums in love, Mephistopholes costumes, Market Snodsbury Grammar School prize-givings, inebriation, and 18 mile bike rides.

Or, if you didn't get a chance to check out Sunday's post, Some of Your Favorite Things, click here.

Guess I'd better waddle on out of here! Take care!

13 comments:

Da Old Man said...

Will the ducks get along with the bunnies, or do you have to keep them seperated?

Sonya --Dime Store Thrift said...

LOVING both groups of duckies!

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the Nancy Drew notebook? I love it.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I love those little duckies and chickies so much! I think that I have one of those ducks. Maybe he's the third of the trio and somehow he ended up in Illinois. I'll ask him if he wants to fly East. Your table looks so pretty and yes, I'll have a cup of tea in your pink depression glass cup. Make mine peppermint, please.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love the McGuire Sisters -- they're so tweet! And I double love the Nancy Drew notebook; I devoured those as a young girl. How fun it would be to have a notebook/journal now. Perhaps someday it'll show up in my neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

i am so jealous of that notebook! great find!!

Anonymous said...

DaOldMan- The ducks should be okay, though they may become slightly startled when they see the full quantity of sheep that live here come Easter...

Sonya- It does make me smile as I come through the entryway! :)

Gail- I got the Nancy Drew notebook at "Half Price Books" in the section with the other journals. I don't know how big that chain of stores is. Hopefully you have one near you.

Andrea- I need to get out my box of Easter stuff, but I believe I have chicks similar to the ducks as well... same kind of realistic painting. It's going to be a regular barnyard in a week or so!

Doris- "Tweet"-- heh, very nice. :)

Tami- It's always surprising to come across something like that, for sure.

Janelle said...

I love Librivox! But I didn't know they had Jeeves stories to listen to!

Love the Nancy Drew notebook--that brings back happy memories!

Lois said...

Hi Jenn.
I'm glad to read that everything is just ducky with you.
I do love those two little ducks. I really like the colouring and shading on them. Where do you get all your energy? Just the thought of decorating for spring makes me tired. I am still un-decorating from Christmas. LOL!
Anyway, as always, thanks so much for sharing with us.
Have a great weekend.
Lois

Home Interior Designer said...

I like the ducks, especially the first two. :)

Jenn Thorson said...

Janelle- Yes, indeed-- there's this particular Jeeves and one other one available. Check it out if you get a chance!

Lois- Hi and thanks for stopping! My energy has fizzled out a bit, as I really need to get rolling on a few things I've absolutely been stalling out on. You know how it is! But I love the decorating... it brings so much joy it's worth it to me.

Home Interior Design- They're favs of mine too. Thanks for visiting.

Down Comforter said...

The little ducklings are so cute - I really love decorating for Easter :)

Soyun said...

Indiana Glass carnival punch bowls look great~ I love the color!