In the Pink for a Post-Holiday Vintage Tablescape

This past weekend's bitter and snowy weather found me inside tackling all those little things I had been putting off: taking down the tree, packing up all the garland and cardboard village homes, and encouraging my very zealous kitten, Harry-- who wanted to be a part of it all-- to find himself some other more kitten-appropriate hobbies. 

I even spackled some long-lingering cracks in my diningroom walls. It's almost embarrassing when I think about how long this project had gone undone! 

But my favorite activity of the weekend was definitely transforming the diningroom decor from Christmas Lite to springy pink good cheer.
The pink, burgundy, blue and green tablecloth was a long-ago thrift store find, as was the marble and crystal candelabra which I'd painted a pearl pink.

The pinkish purple goblets were purchased years ago from either TJ Maxx or Marshalls. And as you can see I'm using the beautiful opalescent "American Sweetheart" pattern depression glass plates I got via a friend and thrifting...


On the mantle, I coordinated with a rose-printed lace mantle scarf and some of my favorite lusterware plates.


I think these all came from the Red White and Blue Thrift Store, though not necessarily at the same time.

In particular, I love the shape and pattern on this one...

This little pink luster plate is one of my most recent finds.
And I figured I'd add in this nice luster bowl I'd gotten at the Goodwill in Indiana, PA a while back. It had been so dirty when I got it, you really couldn't appreciate its pattern and shine...
A little color goes a long way to soothe the winter blues-- particularly if it's got some winter pinks and winter greens along with it!

Do you folks do any decorating post-winter-holidays, or are you pretty well sick to death of the thought of decor after all the Fa-La-La-ing Festivities?

15 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love these colors and it brings a nice glow to the home on these dreary days. I like to decorate after Christmas with snowmen and then move on to the pretty reds and pinks of Valentines day.

Jenn Thorson said...

Linda- The color helps enormously! I try to make the after Christmas decorating bright, since otherwise the house loses a lot of vibrance when the holidays are over.

I admire your many transitions between the snowman and the Valentine's Day decor-- I usually can only manage one new look between January and February. I bet your Valentine's Day will be lovely.

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh how BEAUTIFUL!! I love the pink-springy-table setting!

Serena said...

Thanks for sharing. It's always fun seeing how you incorporate your thrift store and bargain finds into your decor. I get to live vicariously through your decorating adventures, as I'm not much of a decorator myself, except this past Xmas, I tried to decorate a bit - the operative word here being "tried." Maybe that might just get me to start to actually decorate for Xmas 2011, having taken that first baby step!

Anonymous said...

beautiful!! and that fireplace mantle setting peeking out from behind- GORGEOUS! i'm coming for tea!

Andrea said...

I hadn't thought about it too much...but I am definitely going to break out some spring colors as soon as I can get to my storage unit tomorrow. It will definitely help the winter duldrums. Went thrifting today and a gal had a vace of withered REAL flowers next to the register and I must have stuck my nose in them 5 times. I couldn't get over how just sniffing some little REAL flowers made me feel so much better. I'm ready for this snow to GO!!
Your table and mantel look beautiful!

aimee said...

What a pretty, feminine look - thanks for sharing! I love those plates on the mantel and that lusterware bowl on the table.

I do decorate by seasons/holidays. Right now I have a winter theme, with crocheted snowflakes that my late MIL had made, snowmen ornaments on a small reproduction feather tree that I leave out all year, etc. On February 1st things will get switched over to Valentine's Day, of course.

Jenn Thorson said...

Meleah- It's one of my favorite color combos! :)

Serena- Oh, I'm sure you can do it-- and I'm sure this last year was lovely. Just work with what makes you happy and you really can't fail.

Tami- I'll put the kettle on. Earl Grey good for you? :)

Aimee- I love the idea of the crocheted snowflakes and feather tree.

clipping path said...

It was really excellent post! I always like to read your blog. Thanks.

Motherkitty said...

Busy girl! You've gotten a lot accomplished. You can't blame Harry for wanting to help. Sweet little fellow didn't want you to over tire yourself. ;-D

I love the colors you chose. Kind of takes the gray and blah out of the winter weather, eh?

C. Agatha said...

You always have an interesting reading here, beautiful setup and arrangements! Love the colors and unique antique plates and goblets! You were and still are my muse for creating my Thrifty Chic Shop blog. Thank you!

Lizzie Barbie said...

In one word: Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful site! And the china! Wow!

I run Thrift Store Confidential, a resource for All Things Thrift, and have added your blog to our links. It'd be great for you and your readers to stop by and say hello!

Thanks and all the best,
Nicole
http://www.thriftstoreconfidential.com

very merry vintage style said...

Everything looks beautiful! That tablecloth has such pretty colors in it. Love all your dishes, too--
Mary

Nancy said...

Isn't pink a marvelous color? It brings such warmth to any setting, in most of its shades anyway. Your tablescape is gorgeous and makes me miss my dining room. Living in a 1 BR apt. certainly limits one's creativity and display space. I am enjoying your blog!