Treasure Box Wednesday: The Gift of Music and Memories


I have something for you today. It's a surprise! So pick a hand...

Okay, no, sorry-- that sort of thing only works in person, doesn't it? So instead, I guess I'll just have to tell you.

In addition to a few thrifted finds, and a little bit of decorating I'd wanted to show you, I also pulled together a fun little feature for the blog.

If you happen to scroll down this web page and look in the right-hand sidebar in purple, you'll see The Thrift Shop Romantic's Swing Fling Playlist. And if you click Play, why, you'll get an earful of all sorts of swing music, new and old! There's Ella, Duke Ellington, The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Brian Setzer, and at least two different groups with the word "Daddies" in their monikers. (So you know they're embracing a tradition.) Plus a whole batch of others, and even a track off the Verve Remix. Anyway, I thought it would be a nice way to share with you some of the music I listen to, and sing loudly along with in the car. (Disturbing the locals.)

If you don't want to use the Player at the side, you can also click here to listen:

http://www.playlist.com/node/41877991

I hope you'll check it out, see how you feel, and maybe even discover something you like.

Now-- on to the thrifting. I found two goodies this week. For my fellow Pyrexics, I have...


...This bright green Pyrex bowl. I loved the color and it was still in really good shape.

I'd never planned to have a Pyrex collection, but then I guess that's how it nabs you. It sidles up all sneaky-like, until suddenly you realize your kitchen shelves are fit to burst. I found this at the Salvation Army off Carson Street.

At the Goodwill, however, I found this...


...A 50s aluminum pitcher in a berry color. Do you folks remember how I'd found those aluminum tumblers at the Regent Square Yard Sale this year? Well, now I have a matching pitcher. And between the $5 for the six tumblers, and the $5 for the pitcher-- why, at $10 for a whole set, I think that sounds pretty good.

Now in terms of decorating, you might have noticed from the picture above, I'd been noodling around with my mantle again...


I've moved the McCoy style vases to be displayed in the spare room, and am now bringing out the old family photos. The bathing beauty in the center is my father's mother, Elsie, along with some friends...

And the woman here in the oval frame is my father's father's mother, who came to the U.S. from Sweden...


The marcasite-looking frames were from K-Mart- TJ Maxx and one was a gift. The candlesticks and bottle were thrifted. The decorating plan going forward will be to use my clear crystal Depression glass and work on a table arrangement.

Anyway, I thought you all might enjoy seeing the project in the works. (I would have been done with it, only on Sunday I had storms and a power outage for most of the day, and it was too dark to see to finish it!)

Well, in case you missed last Sunday's post, pre-power outage, Giggling over Wiggling, Jiggling Jell-O, click here and maybe get a few chuckles.

I'm off to hear me some tunes!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those frames are totally gorgeous!!! And I love old photos, you can immerse yourself in another time as with your new playlist!! I love that old music it makes your mind wander.
Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Aunt Evie-- Glad you enjoyed your visit!

Melanie said...

Love that Pyrex bowl! I love most all pyrex, but especially the stuff that's green, blue or turquiose.

And love the swing music too. Not something I listen to often, but I enjoy it when I'm in the right mood.

Jenn Thorson said...

Melanie- I don't see green or turquoise much in terms of Pyrex. Well, not green-green-- avocado green, yes.

And regarding the music, I think the big band song "In the Mood" might actually be on the list! :) Thanks for visiting!

Lois said...

When I was a young girl, about 35 years or so ago, my parents’ best friends used to serve me and my brothers, ice-cold freshie (for those who don't know, it is a powdered mix drink) in a set like that. For some reason the drink always seemed colder than when we got it in glass or plastic glasses.
The sight of that aluminum pitcher brought back very happy memories. Thank you for sharing with us.

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

I would so use that bowl and eat spaghetti, cereal, chinese dinner. The color is the one I am using in my bathroom as of late. It seems so summery.

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Love the color of that Pyrex! And the frames look great. I recently got some old family photos from my aunt and was wanting to do something silimar, I just need to get some frames.

Pecos Blue said...

This is a fun blog. I am glad I stumbled on over here. Fun things and great photos.

Deb said...

Hi Jenn......love the new look you are giving your mantle! I've decided to bring the fake fireplace home from the cottage and set it up in an alcove in my bedroom so I can see it from bed at night....doesn't that sound romantic? lol You really got a good buy on the pitcher and tumblers. I can remember drinking from those at my grandmother's when I was a little girl and it was the coldest drink I can remember ever having! Sorry I don't get by your blog more often but my summer has been crazy too. :)

xo,
Debbie

Deb said...

Hi Jenn....I have something special waiting for you on my blog...hop over and check it out!

xo,
Debbie

Jenn Thorson said...

Lois- Would you believe the cashier at the Goodwill said the very same thing about the drinks just seeming so much colder in the aluminum pitchers? I'm really anxious to put this to the test!

Pecos Blue- Hey, glad you found some things here to entertain!

Debbie- Oh, no apologies ever necessary, Debbie-- gosh, I know we all have tons of things going on. Just keeping up with work and creative projects is challenging enough.

Love the sound of your alcove. I imagine you'll take photos? I always love seeing what you come up with. I will pop by your blog and see what's lurking. :)

Jennifer said...

I am glad I don't really care for Pyrex, because I see so much of it at thrift stores and it is so cheap, even when in good shape, that I would have to build an addition on my house to stock it all.

We had those aluminum tumblers when I was a kid, they kept your drink really really cold!!