Treasure Box Wednesday: Portrait of a Happy Thrifter

Just when I think I've seen everything at the thrift shop, I turn around and am awed once more. Some of my forum friends online have already shared in my joy in this, but I believe some of you still haven't seen this yet. This was my find of last Wednesday-- a Victorian portrait vase with the beehive mark of Royal Vienna.

Now, I do know a number of companies of the era ended up using this beehive mark, who were not actually Royal Vienna. But judging by the quality of the vase, the handpainted details on the decal and the overall feel of it, it's a real possibility.

Either way, it was wonderful to me. I'd been having kind of a rough day at work when I'd determined to take myself on a thrifting respite at lunch... And that's when I came across this.

And also this...


...A 50s aluminum tea canister. I was happy enough with this for $0.99, but then the vase came along and my day was absolutely made.

Then over the weekend at the Goodwill in Monroeville, I came across these pink Depression glass plates...


I haven't been able to find the pattern name in my Depression glass books, but at $0.50 a piece, they were a good buy.

Lastly, I got this vintage tablecloth for $1.50 at the St. Vincent DePaul in Monroeville...



They were having a half-off sale, so that was an extra special surprise. And WOW, you should have seen the people there. It was amazing to witness the sort of things people were discovering.

I'm afraid that closes the Treasure Box for this week. If you'd like to take a peek at Sunday's post on Fourth of July postcards-- and a special postcard download for you-- click here.

I'd mentioned earlier, I have one of my friends paying her annual Fourth of July visit this weekend-- yay!- so I might be a little delayed with the Sunday post. But I promise, I'll get to it. I might just be a little slower in posting.

Happy Fourth of July, folkses!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

The vase! OMG...and that tablecloth with the roses. You lucky thrifter you!...Well done. Pam

Anonymous said...

My mom has that same alum canister except our lid is black. How cool! You did good as usual.

Tell your friend that she has to post her finds on here too. We'll get two for the price of one. :)

Unknown said...

Pam- It's been pretty fun lately-- some good things. You just have to come visit us over here in the States. The exchange rate should be well in your favor!!

Chyna- Oh, very cool about the canister! It's always interesting to see what different colors things came in during a time period.

Regarding my friend visiting, we'll see what we get up to. I think we're going to go to the aviary, so I might share photos of that. If we go thrifting, I'll post what goodies we turn up. My friends are really good about letting me share their finds and stories in blog-form. I do appreciate that.

Amy said...

wow I just love the aluminium canisters and I have some of the green depression ware in my cabinets - they're so pretty are'nt they?

Unknown said...

Amy- This was the first aluminum canister I've come across, so it was a really fun find. And I'm totally with you-- green depression is great. Really a cheerful color!

Lois said...

What great finds!
Don't you just love it when you turn around and it's just there waiting for you?
My Gram's had a set of those cannisters in her glass fronted cupboards when I was a little girl. It was the first thing you would see when you walked into the kitchen from outside.
That picture brought back happy memories.
Have a great visit with your friend.

Unknown said...

Lois- There's nothing like the fun of a surprising thrift! :) I bet those canisters looked terrific all together in the cupboard! And thanks for the well-wishes. I hope to have fun stories to share with you all from our adventures.

Anonymous said...

i love all of your finds..but that roses tablecloth took my breath away! just gorgeous...thanks for sharing!

~Angie

p.s. i enjoy your blog..feel free to stop by mine and say hi sometime!

Unknown said...

Angie- Hey thank you, and will do! I always enjoy chatting with my fellow bloggers. :)

Rachel Elizabeth said...

I love the tea canister!

Jenn Thorson said...

Rachel- Hey, thanks! And thanks for visiting!

Chez Bliss said...

That Royal Vienna pieces does indeed look genuine, and in wonderful condition. Perhaps somebody's aunt bequeathed it, and it wasn't appreciated for what it was. Nice that it's now in the right hands.

I have a blog on my website, http://www.cochrans.com, which is also where we upload the entire contents of our annual free travel-size map guide to antiques in the western states. I'd love to be included in your links if possible, and you're already in mine.
Bliss Cochran

Unknown said...

You find the greatest stuff! I'm soo jealous!

Anonymous said...

i smiled when i saw the tea canister.. i have the flour, sugar, coffee and tea set lined up on my counter...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.