Blogging at Over 10,000 Feet

Well, this is a Thrift Shop Romantic first, I must say. This would be my premiere post composed at over 10,000 feet in the air!

Yes, I'm heading home to Pittsburgh from Thanksgiving and being the thrifty gal that I am, I couldn't resist taking advantage of the free holiday WiFi on the plane.

It's this WiFi, that allows me to efficiently bring some photos of the Florida Keys to you all today. Then Wednesday I'll be back to our normal treasure-hunting and decorating with a new Treasure Box post.

Here we have some feathered friends hunkered down in the strong breeze following a stormy day...
This is in Islamorada outside the Whale Harbor Inn, a seafood buffet where my father and I enjoyed entirely too much Thanksgiving feast.

Did you know the pelicans in Florida are required by the State Waterbird Aquatic Traffic Bureau to swim in "V" formations?...
Yes, they get licensed to make sure they know the rules of the surf, and they have to have it renewed every five years. They are, of course, billed for this service. :)

Right now you can just hear the trio above saying, "Okay, Peter, Penny, you take flank. I'll take point. Let's triangulate!"

Funny that with so much wind earlier in the day, the water could be so glassy...
And this, this just made me laugh. Originally, I had only wanted a shot of the sign because of "Captain Ron." (Anyone familiar with the film of the same name starring Kurt Russell will know why it's funny.)...All around are largish fishing vessels, which tourists can charter for a day of fishing adventure. However, Dad and I soon realized, Captain Ron's boat for hire was perhaps just a little bit, um, more budget-oriented than the ones around it...Okay, maybe a lot more budget-oriented. It's not easy being a swashbuckling pirate when you're also a little dinghy...Anyway, what trip to the tropics would be complete without a few shots of Mother Nature in all her beachly glory?...
And with this, we dock yet another holiday for the year...
If you missed last Wednesday's post, with some humorous looks at vintage Thanksgiving, click here.

This Wednesday, we'll dive into some Florida thrifting and yard saling. Hope to see you then!

9 comments:

ReformingGeek said...

Very pretty! That "Pirate for Hire" sign" definitely gets your attention.

TJ Lubrano said...

*sigh* I wish I was there too! Lovely pictures Jenn! The weather looks soo nice1 Totally the opposite of what we have here! You want to know what we have?

Rain, little sun, wind, rain, rain etc. The weather can't make up its mind. I can't walk with an umbrella either. I will fly away!

Yes. Just like Mary Poppins ^_^. heey that would be pretty cool!

Take care!

JD at I Do Things said...

Wow, your family LIVES in Islamorada? Did you visit any of the other Keys while you were there? I'm seriously envious. We keep joking that if my mom moved to Florida, we'd visit her a lot more (right now she lives about a half-hour's drive from both me and my brother).

Anyway, lovely photos.

Lucy said...

Your pictures make me feel warm just looking at them. We had a wonderfully mild day today, but I do start yearning for our yearly Florida vacation each November!

Lois said...

Hi Jenn!
It looks like you had a great visit. The pics are lovely and I had to laugh when I saw Capt.Ron's boat. I guess pictures are better than words in this case! LOL!
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving.
Have a great week.
Lois

Jenn Thorson said...

TJ- It sounds like what we have here in Pittsburgh. I guess we can both be grateful it's not snow yet. PS- Your Mary Poppins comment sounds like another illustration in the making. Better get watercoloring, lady. :)

JD- Yep, Dad retired down there. It IS extremely beautiful pretty much everywhere you look.

ReformingGeek- Heh, yes. The sign may be bigger than the boat! :)

Lucy and/or Dick- Given the longer nights we're having right now, it was wonderful to see so much sunshine. Hope you had a nice holiday.

Lois- Yes, makes you wonder how many are in his expert crew. Himself and a dog maybe? :)

Melanie said...

Gorgeous pictures. Love the capt Ron one. :)

Blogging from 10,000ft? Priceless!

Jenn Thorson said...

Melanie- It was amazing to be able to blog on the plane. A real time-saver, for one, and just a great way to make the trip go quickly. (Plus-- free, so can't beat that!)

Ben said...

That's how you know you're a true blogger :) writing at 10,000 feet. I'm very jealous of your Thanksgiving. Your pictures are beautiful.