Treasure Box Wednesday: Hot Cup o' Good Fortune

After a few errands on Saturday, I set out on that gray, blustery day a-thrifting down Route 30.

Why does it seem when winds do howl and rain does pelt against the windows, there's comfort wandering around a brightly-lit thrift store or quiet antique mall? It's one of those times where, even if I found nothing, it's just fun to look.

But find things, I did! And I managed to hit a couple of really good sales, too. Like the 50% off of these already well-priced Carnival glass pieces at the Ligonier Fleatique...

I'm not sure how old they are, but you can't beat the rainbow of colors on them!

Speaking of colors, how about these excellent lusterware teacups from the Salvation Army? ..

Seeing them there together, I just knew they had to have come from the same lady's collection. Do you ever ponder things like that when you shop? What place the item held in someone's life before it arrived at the store?

At the Good Samaritan thrift store in North Versailles, I uncovered this pink 70s French glass serving bowl to match my set...

I like it because it looks so much like Depression Glass. And this time I was doubly thrilled because I'd missed out on this very style piece once at a different antique mall; they wouldn't sell it to me because it wasn't priced, which I totally understand. But the guy running the desk also didn't want to call and bother the dealer to find out how much it would be. Needless to say, it was a disappointing "No Sale" that day...

But it's all balanced out now!

I also got a great big bag of Shiny Brite ornaments from the Good Samaritan. It's really never too early to pick these bright li'l fellows up!...

At the L&L Fleatique in Adamsburg, I bought a nifty gift for one of my friends (I'll show you all that post-gift-giving, so as not to ruin the surprise for her.) And I got myself a small McCoy planter-- which was also on sale!

And lastly, following the grand tradition of my father's, which involves buying things he doesn't know what they are... I bought...

Um...

Something I don't know what it is.

It's definitely styled like my downstairs light fixtures, so it's probably from the Depression era. And it's done in the same airbrushed colors. But as for its function?...

Here is the back...
So what do you folks think? Did it come from some other light fixture? Or perhaps part of curtain tiebacks or rods?

Any and all suggestions appreciated and ready to be taken for consideration! As the thing was just seventy-cents at the UFO in Greensburg, I figured it was worth that just for us to mull it over.

Anyway, it's pretty, and you all know me-- I probably can make use of it somehow.

So that's it for today's Treasure Box Wednesday!


Well, it's not precisely wrapped up, but I'll give you something non-fireplacey to read about on Sunday to mix it up more. I imagine that will be a relief to all of us. :)

Have a great week, friends, and I hope to see you Sunday.

11 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love the cup with the apples in it and the Xmas ornaments. I can never pass up old Xmas ornaments (& I tell myself that the boxes in the corner are "replacements" for the ones that will get broken!). You're a dang good thrifter!

Carolina Gonzalez said...

Nothing like an unidentified piece of metal to stimulate creativity! Gorgeous finds btw :).

Jenn Thorson said...

Sandy- You know, those vintage Christmas ornaments are getting expensive in some places. While I got a great deal on mine, I was elsewhere and saw the ShinyBrites-- just average ones, too-- listed at $20 just for a box of 12!

Carolina- Heh, yes, indeed-- are we crafty or are we crazy that a bit of metal can be exciting? :)

Hayley said...

Thanks for posting your fab finds! Those tea cups are beautiful!

There is always so much wonderful stuff that I wish I could pick up, but never have the room to keep it all! Where do you manage to store all your things?

Bee Balm Gal said...

Love the pink glass bowl. I can see it filled with soft pink and gold or pale green Christmas baubles on a dark wood table. Or filled with a salad of baby lettuces, goat cheese, and dried cranberries to accompany a holday meal. Good shopping day!

Unknown said...

Your teacups immediatey caught my eye. I have a hard time passing up most teacups and saucers, but ESPECIALLY ones like yours! Those ornaments are another great find. You just CANNOT have too many.

As for the Unidentifiable Found Object, curtain tie back is a good guess. Whatever it is, it's lovely. How will you use it?

Unknown said...

Hayley- I have quite a bit of storage space in my home, and I keep things safe in plastic tubs. I also give away a lot of items, and re-donate to the thrifts when I find similar items I like better.

Bee Balm Gal- I very much like your vision for that pink bowl! I'm not sure what my dining room theme will be this Christmas, but I will certainly take your idea into consideration!

Nathalie- I don't know about you, but I don't see teacups like these quite as often as I used to, outside of antique stores.

And I don't know how I'll use the Unidentifiable Found Object yet. I would probably want to use it in my livingroom, as that room has the Victorian red and green theme, as well as one of the light fixtures this is similar to.

chyna said...

I think you should use the UFO in your new room that you are decorating. It looks romantic like this room. :)

As for the tea cups, finding such a thing that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg is unheard of. good hunting!!!

Heather said...

I love seeing Christmas decorations like the ones you found as they are the kind I grew up with and they bring back many happy memories of tree trimming when I was young. Really must find some for myself on a thrifting trip.

Could the metal bit be a decorative bit from an old mirror - sort of to hold the mirror in place?

Down Pillow said...

So many goodies! I love the teacups & ornaments :)

Nancy said...

What treasures you have found! I wonder if the UFO could be a decorative piece from the front of a piece of furniture such as a chest of drawers? Those escutcheons are not always functional.