Treasure Box Wednesday: Treasured Transformations

To indulge in a little personification for a moment, my house lately must feel a little like Cinderella-- post-fairy-Godmother-makeover. In the last month, two rooms have gotten a very new look, and I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Over the weekend, I painted my bathroom that Baby's Breath Pink I showed you all on Sunday. So here's what it looked like Before...
A fresh aloe green, yes. But I was finding it very hard to match to any green accessories these days. Bathmats were more sage or avocado or mint, and tracking down items that would work was a little frustrating.
Also, I had that rich-colored shower curtain I really wanted to use for the winter. So my brain began plots of painting pinkness.
You can see the gold art nouveau styled mirrors and accessories here. These will mostly remain as part of the decor after...er... Cindy's fairytale makeover.

And here we see it in the pink!
The room now has a whole different feel, I think. Where it had felt rather open and fresh before, it feels a bit more sumptuous somehow now. Which is funny because the drapes, mirrors, and ledge shelves are all exactly the same...
Here you can see I swapped a couple of Alphonse Mucha resin plaques-- in a color too orange to really work for the room, for a mosaic vase I thrifted. The crystal items in the vases are actually Christmas decor from K-Mart from last year's post-season sale.
And here you can see the pink with the black trim and the nifty shower curtain. Everything ties together better now, I believe...
And just another last shot, by the pedestal sink.Now, for those of you asking to see the rest of the blue French room I'd been working on, here's where we are...
Most everything is back in place. I've hung a mirror here at left, which has opened things up a bit more and given it some extra shine. (And yes, I had been sitting on that sofa with a magazine... bliss!)
This lampshade I ordered through Ebay. It has courting couples on it much like the sofa cover...
You'll see it's on my thrifted alabaster lamp from a week or two ago. I wish these types of shades were a little cheaper, but even the cost of fabric would be high for something quality. I'm not currently skilled enough to make something like this myself. So this was a splurge.

Over here, I'm still working on this area...

The little Shabby Chic bookcase from Target has my Victorian postcard collection albums in it, and some books I enjoy leafing through. I'm still trying to find just the right combination of accessories. Given both of my best friends who I shop with LOVE blue, I've discovered that I don't actually have much in the way of this color. The bright blue glass shoe in the upper right was a thrift store buy yesterday, actually.

So, that about wraps it up for today.
And if not-- hey, there'll be new goodies this coming Sunday. Hope to see you then!

11 comments:

Le-Chat said...

Oh your bathroom looks adorable in pink! But I love those black tiles lining the top as well! What a contrast with my simple white tiled square in my rental apartment. Funny I just posted how I decorated it at my best in seventies style... Wonder what you think :) But that's me and this is you. Read here if you like:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com/2009/11/my-seventies-bathroom.html

Jenn Thorson said...

Le Chat- I left you a comment. You really did that successfully. 70s style isn't really my taste, but it's nice to see it all fit together so well.

You'd mentioned the black tiles-- which is funny because I love them now the room is pink. They were there when I moved in, so I was trying to work WITH them.

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Your bathroom looks great and I love your lamps - they are very pretty.

Jaffer said...

La salle d'Francais c'est magnifique ! I love what you did to the walls !
Ah yes, your fireplace is complete ... well ahead of 2012 (was that the date je crois ?

Le-Chat said...

The tiles really look so art deco - or otherwise last century twenties/thirties style. Is your house that old or is it a really good imitation?

Jenn Thorson said...

Annabelle- Thank you. I'm a huge fan of lamps-- any excuse to have some around!

Jaffer- It was looking like it might be 2012-- or it FELT like it, anyway. Really, it took about three weeks. But they were LOOOONG weeks. :)

LeChat- Yup, my house is actually from 1898 or 99, and all the light fixtures on my first floor are art deco form the 30s. I still have a Victorian gas cookstove in the basement, and a part gas, part electric fixture in my attic. Owners over the years were pretty good about not destroying the things that gave the place history and character. That's why I've tried to decorate it in styles around the turn-of-the-century.

Unknown said...

Your bathroom looks good in both colors, green and/or pink! Looking at your photos, I'm thoroughly convinced that you would have been right at home exchanging conversation with Scarlett and Rhett (using a Southern drawl, of course).

TJ Lubrano said...

What a lovely pink color! It has such a pretty metallic sheen. It matches the curtain perfectly!

Jenn! Where do find you find the time to maintain two cool blogs!
*waves*

Tallulah Keats said...

I love the bathroom - it looks sumptuous, as you said. Nice nicknackery - love all your art deco and art nouveau pieces. Very nice ambience accross ze home ya

down pillow said...

I really like the pink paint - looks sooo good with the black & white tile :)

Ben said...

Wow, I'm not usually one for interior design, but your home is absolutely beautiful. I'm a sucker for fireplaces so I think that I like that part the best, but your color scheme throughout is really vivid and elegant.