Treasure Box Wednesday: Picture (Window) Perfect

The Treasure Box for this week echoes a bit. Though, admittedly, the things in it were both oddly thrifty and items I'm delighted to have uncovered.

One was this lovely little stained glass window panel I found at-- of all places-- TJ Maxx...
I'd been thinking someday I'd find an antique window at Construction Junction architectural salvage, or a flea market, to sit in the large picture window in my dining room. But my brain apparently had a really specific color palette in mind.

When I saw this one hanging on the wall of TJ Maxx, well, it was one of those instant, "Yes, that's the one-- mine, please," moments. And I had it in my hand and then at the cash register, breaking some land-speed records.

I'm really pleased with how it coordinates with all the Westmoreland county glass pieces I already had there.

The other item was one I forgot to show you all the other week, after my trip to Ohio. At just $5.50 for a plate from 1910, it was a steal. It's a fairly collectible Knowles, Taylor Knowles plate, and I liked the early 1800s style image...
It's called The Broken Jug, and the symbol, really, is a bit sad. I believe it's meant to suggest she lost a baby. Just look at how her hands are positioned. Even the gargoyle behind her seems to express pity.

But I thought the piece was lovely, if wistful. And I just need to find the right place for it.

On a happier note, and so you all don't feel you came all the way over here today for nothing, the reason I wasn't doing much thrifting this week was because I was off at Mel Brooks' play, "Young Frankenstein." (Which was hysterical-- excellent show!) And I have a rather funny experience to share with you related to that, if you have a moment and don't mind clicking over to my humor blog, Of Cabbages and Kings.

If any of you have ever parked in an unfamiliar city parking garage, I think you will be able to identify with my tale. You can check that out by clicking here.

Sunday, I hope to bring you along with me (in spirit) to the Annual Regent Square Neighborhood Yard Sale-- weather (and imagination) willing.

Take care!

6 comments:

lisa said...

I absolutely love the look the window creates. A few months ago, in cheswick GW, I walked up to a woman who I thought was you.....it was not obviously. I am sure though, due to our common bond of thrift stores, we will one day.

Jenn Thorson said...

Lisa- Thank you-- I'm happy for its shine and color myself! :) And ah, I haven't been to the Cheswick GW, but if it had been me, I would have been happy to say "hi."

I've only had one person so far who recognized me from the blog-- (at least that I know of). :)

Melody said...

What lovely things you have. I have a sister who is great in thrift stores, a talent she has passed on to her daughter, but they're in it for the clothes. I can't count the number of times she has found great outfits at ridiculous prices.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Hello, Jen!
I am just catching up on my blog roll and I had to tell you how much I love that glass stained window pane!!

And in T.J.Max!! Iwas in there last weekend and i saw nothing like that but i do have to go back there on Sunday. so I will be checking it out!! I am looking for an ivory tea pot for a tea theme basket that is going to be chanced off at work.

I am having a giveaway so stop bey to take a peek if interested.

Debbie

Jenn Thorson said...

Melody- Oh, you can find some great clothes at some of the thrifts. I'm sure your sister and her daughter are able to come away with some amazing things!

Debbie- Well, I hope you come across something that tickles your fancy. It's not over-easy to find tea pots, for some reason. Maybe there are too many collectors out there snatching up the good ones.

chyna said...

TJMaxx?!!!! That is a heck of good find, I'm lucky to find a gargoyle candle holder missing a foot. Actually I kinda like the lack of a foot, makes him more rustic. LOL