Closeted Creativity

I've never been the most organized person in the world. Sure, when it comes to meeting deadlines, following through on what I promise, and planning things out, I'm pretty on-the-ball. But if it involves sorting, folding and filing-- it just doesn't come naturally to me. I struggle.

But what I've learned over the years is that even I, Miss Toss-It-In-a-Pile or Hide-It-Under-the-Bed can get life organized into easy-to-use systems-- the key is in taking the time and having the right tools!
This last week, I've been working to get my closets in order. When you thrift as often as I do, it's important for me to have a good clear-out now and then, to really take stock of what I love, what I need, and what I no longer use (and what I can pass along to someone who will truly appreciate it!).

So my linens have seen a good purge, and all extra sheets, table runners, curtains and fabric whatnots that are surplus to requirement are right now sitting bagged and prepped to head on back to the thrifts.

In their place, a couple of assemble-it-yourself shelving units have been set up, and a few packs of hangers have helped to make this closet work so much better....
I love seeing all the pretty colors and patterns on my vintage tablecloths, and choosing what I want when I want it is now so easy!(I admit, I left the door open for a while so I could stare at the Joy of Surprising Organization.)

Plus, the lightly flocked hangers really work well-- they're pleasant to the touch, but linens don't slide off.

Now, too, I can see all of these nicely embroidered tablerunners together.
And fresh vintage sheets are always available for when company comes...
Inspired by the progress, I also tackled the hall closet, where I store dress clothes and my winter shoes/boots...
A build-it-yourself shoe rack from Target fit the bill (or rather the boot) here.

I liked it so much, I got one for the the coat closet in my entry way, where casual shoes now live for easy access...What's nice is, I not only now can see everything I have, I won't again fall into the rut of having four pairs of black flats all in about the same style.

Consistency of taste is nice, but it also takes up a lot of space with redundant footwear! (Imelda Marcos might beg to differ, but then she probably didn't have to organize her own closets.)

Anyway, that got me wondering-- what's your favorite organizational tool? Are you organizationally-challenged like me? Or does everything always have its place?

Take care, and I'll talk to you next on Wednesday... If I'm not too busy still staring into my newly-tidied closets. :)

5 comments:

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I WANT one of those cubbyhole bookshelves with the canvas baskets in the cubbyholes. I figure it'd be a good way to organize odds and ends without Seamus being able to do any spontaneous shelf-clearing. (One of his favorite pasttimes). I figure one under the coat rack could be partly for shoes and partly with baskets so SOMEONE knows where his phone, wallet, and keys are at all times.

Jenn Thorson said...

ShieldMaiden- And that would go really well in your house, too! (Plus Seamus might be less likely to get a hold of Bryan's cell phone and dial with his butt, as he is wont to do.) :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love those closet organizers and I use skirt hangers to hand place mats.

Lynda said...

I really like your idea of using it in the coat closet. That floor area is not used and could be put to good use. For my crafts supplies, I bought a scrapbook paper tray from a craft store going out of biz. It holds 20 stacks of 12x12 paper. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Good job organizing! I would stare happily at your pretty vintage linens too!