I'm Dreaming of a Shatterproof Christmas

IIIIIIII'm dreaming of a
Shatterprooooooof Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the bright orbs glisten
And kittens listen
As IIII'm pleading, "No! Down! Noooooo!"

I had a sneaking suspicion that decorating the tree this year was going to be a bit... different... than other years.And I had barely assembled my nifty artificial tree when-- "BOINK!"-- Harry the Five Month Old Kitten appeared within its branches to demonstrate the reason I had thought going "shatterproof" in terms of Christmas ornaments this year was a pretty darned good idea.

It was nice of me, he felt, to put up this giant climbing wall for him.

"Tree kittens? I don't see any tree kittens! Where?"
Then there was the little question of adding the garland. I had some... um... help this year, but I suspect this kind of help will be more useful when it comes to taking down the tree instead of putting it up.
However, what I didn't suspect was that after a certain amount of requisite batting and climbing and biting, my furred buddies would lose interest entirely in favor of a few empty ornament boxes and a bit of Christmas ribbon. And I would be allowed to actually decorate the thing, and keep the decorations on...And it's still standing this morning!

I know. Shocking, right?
My optimism led me to decorate a tiny pink tree to put on top of my refrigerator, out of the reach (maybe) of touchy-feely paws.

I had found at Tuesday Morning some glass Alice in Wonderland ornaments from the same artist that did my dishes. So with them, and some mushrooms, top-hats and teapot ornaments K-Mart had had (completely unrelated to any Alice theme) I pulled this colorful little jobbie together.

You can see the White Rabbit, Queen's card men and a jingly little mushroom here...

And the Hat, Alice and the Cheshire Cat dressed as a snowman here.

Lastly, one of the teapots and the Hatter himself...
After all this, I guess I don't need to tell you, we were all pretty tired out...
Thank goodness for Trader Joe's shopping bags. They have a million and one uses.

Take care folks, and I hope you all aren't shattered from too much pre-Christmas activity.

13 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

My Charlie is too old for such antics anymore so I found this post really fun and it made me smile and laugh. Here's hoping they enjoy laying under the tree more then in it!

Jenn Thorson said...

Linda- Charlie is a great name for a cat. Yes, I too am hoping they're content with looking at the tree more than becoming a PART of it. Fingers crossed.

Alex M said...

Very pretty on all fronts! We had a scrappy little cat named Larry who was particularly talented at bringing down the tree. We used to have to wire/tie it to various support sources so she couldn't knock it down.

Now that we own the naughtiest dog on earth, there will be no trees in our house (at least not this year).

I have tree envy!

Dorothy said...

The Christmas-decorating antics of your cats is hilarious, the paper bag shot, fabulous! Thank you for enriching my 2010, I look forward to seeing what 2011 has in store for us us. Merry Christmas and very, very happy New Year!

Jenn Thorson said...

Alex- Well, I imagine you wouldn't trade your sweet (if ornery) doggie Teddy for anything. And anyway, she's young yet-- and there's always next year.

Dorothy- Thanks so much for the sweet note! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You as well!

lvroftiques said...

Awwww your fur babies are adorable! My kitty Jordan did that same thing when he was a kitten. No bag or box (or kitchen cabinet) was safe from adventure lol!

Your tree looks beautiful! And your petite pink tree is sooooo charming! Always had a soft spot for Alice *winks*

I'm so glad to have found your blog! I'm a thrift-o-holic myself and am really enjoying viewing all your beauties!
Your newest follower Vanna

Dorothy said...

Just saw this and thought you would appreciate this! Simon's Cat in "Santa Claws" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2h3_aH3vo&feature=player_embedded

Jenn Thorson said...

Vanna- Glad you found the blog and are having fun-- that's what it's all about! :)

Dorothy- Heh, I definitely do appreciate it because it's SO TRUE. There's also one where Simon's cat attempts to WAKE Simon too early in the morning, and I well-recall the dancing-on-my-head attempts of my kitten Alice when I first got her.

GwendolynKay said...

I just love the antics of your kitties.! Good thing they tired of the tree, give them a bag and look how content they are! ha! Love your beautiful tree.
Blessings~
Gwenny

Petra said...

Adorable cats!

Lisa said...

Love your tree! So cute and pretty! We have the same issue with our cats here!!

TopazTurtle said...

aww.. they were just being helpful:-) Let me know if you need shatterproof ornaments next year.

My Patchwork Katt said...

I had a great laugh reading about your furry "Help" at christmas... it made me remember the year of the Litter of Kittens who decided the tree belonged to them (& werent we nice to give them such a lovely toy?) seems to me that was the year we stopped buying glass ball ornaments....... thanks for the memories rj