A Very Merry Unbirthday to YOU!: the Lewis Carroll Party

Happy Unbirthday!!!

What-- you didn't know it was your Unbirthday? Well, it comes around so quickly, I can see where you might be surprised to find it here so soon. It's my Unbirthday, too! And his... and hers...

So the preparations are made and the flamingos are just waiting for the post-tea game of croquet-- have a seat! Pour yourself a spot of something nice from this bottle marked "Drink Me."

Okay, okay... you found me out. This is all actually just a bit of silliness for my friend Josette who comes to visit each year. This past year has been very rough for her personally-- and with Dad passing, mine hasn't exactly been the Queen's rose garden, either-- and I figured we both needed an extra dose of levity for this upcoming long weekend of antiquing and catching up.

So I thought I'd put all my Fiestaware and Alice in Wonderland-inspired decor to use for a whimsical theme that might make my friend laugh a little...
She already knows I'm quite mad, so that part won't be a surprise.

The Unbirthday lettering came from the dollar store, as did the red and white rose garland. I thought the giant Fiestaware cocoa cup versus the normal-sized teacup gave a nice Wonderland effect. The Mad Hatter-like "hat" lampshades were the Tuesday Morning finds that started me off-and-running with this idea.

The checkerboard mantle "runner" and the placemats are actually laminate floor tiles I glued together; they came from the dollar store, too.
I think there's just something about the quirky art deco lines of Fiestaware that sets the right tone... The little heart-shaped ice cream bowls came from Tuesday Morning; they're not Fiesta.

I'm in the process of making little theme cakes that are covered in fondant, but I'm not sure if they'll turn out. I've never worked with fondant before, so if they aren't too scary to look at, I'll share those with you folks later.

Wish me luck!

8 comments:

Marie said...

totally lovely!


Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
Pretty Face giveaway

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Very FUN!! Have a great time with your friend!
deb

Jackie Jardine said...

What a great idea! This looks like fun!

titancia said...

What a great friend you are! That is such a fun teaparty!

My family has taken to calling the day we were born, but in the wrong month, our "unbirthdays." :P

chyna said...

Jenn, how incredibly mad cap. Love it!!!!!

Serena said...

Love the touch of whimsy with the pink flamingos :)

Toni said...

What a charming idea! MUSTARD- don't lets be silly! :)

Anna said...

My Aunts just love vintage stuff, their homes are filled with it. Going to recommend to them to check out your site.