Treasure Box Wednesday: Kaboodles of Victorian Kittens

I apologize for the e-silence lately, folks. Having decided to independently publish my novel, I've been working hard to get it into the right format, edit it up so it's typo-free and send it on its way to be a Real Book. :) That's temporarily left me with little time for thrifting and blogging.

However, over Memorial Weekend, as my buddy Josette came to visit, we did get to some antique malls out in Ohio, and in Columbiana, OH, I did finally commit to purchasing this charming Victorian print of kittens in chaos...

Having just gotten my furry friend Alice through Kittendom, and little Harry one month away from being a grown cat, I can really identify with the mayhem these fluffy felines in the print are causing on some lady's vanity table.
I'd had my eye on this print for a while-- actually, before I ever adopted my own fuzzy wonders. But the time was right, the print was on sale, and I figured almost immediately where I would hang it. I replaced a thrifted vintage mirror with the print, right in my aqua entryway.

Oddly, it looks like it's been hanging there all along...
So, that's the Treasure Box for this week. Posting might be spotty in the next seven days or so due to wrapping up the novel, but after that, I should be back to normal here on The Thrift Shop Romantic. Thanks for sticking around! With the impending re-do of my third floor office/attic space, I promise, there will be many goodies to come.

10 comments:

aimee said...

Hey, sometimes there are other things even more important than thrifting, and I'd say getting a book published is one of them. Good luck getting it to press!

And thanks for showing off that kitten print - it looks fabulous.

Jenn Thorson said...

Aimee- Thanks so much! I will need that luck, I think. I'm learning a lot.

Andrea at My Feathered Nest said...

Of course you KNOW that I really like that picture and the aqua and gold frame is unique and right up my alley of favorite decorating colors. It really does look like it belongs right there in the spot too. Sounds like a fun trip.

Serena said...

Great to hear that you are working on getting your book into print. I'm an aspiring writer myself (for children) and know what commitment and dedication it takes to live the life of a writer. Best wishes to you on your literary endeavors, and please keep us posted!

Luv2Shop said...

Hi Jenn,
I love your print and it looks great in your hall. Can't wait to read your book! I love your blog.

monah http://graciouscottage.com/ said...

Hi Jenn,

You know I love anything cat that you do or show or write about. These pictures are great & the pic goes so well w/that pink lamp.

I get your posts via E- but I don't know what your book is about. Did I miss something?
Graciously,
monah

Jenn Thorson said...

Andrea- Don't you just love it when you find something that seems made for a certain space-- all on accident? :) So fun.

Serena- Well, I wish YOU much luck with your children's book. That sounds so exciting!

Luv2Shop- Thanks so much!

Monah- I'm glad I haven't over-kittened people. Sometimes the furry folks get into photos I wasn't intending on, too. :)

The novel is actually a humorous space fantasy, so it's quite different from this blog in that 1.) it's fiction and 2.) there is very little shopping in it. :) It does have the quirky tone of some of the weird knitting or recipe posts I've done here in the past. But I haven't been talking about it much here as I wasn't sure whether readers would be interested or not. When it's published, I will make an announcement here, though.

Admin1 said...

Hello there! I'm a first time visitor on your blog and thought I'd tell you just how wonderful it is! I love the painting and love seeing your great finds. :) I'm a cheapie too! lol And I absolutely adore cats! Have 2 of my own and can't get enough of them. Very nice blog. I hope to read more from you soon.

Warmest wishes,
Kendra

JOANN LLOYD said...

I was so excited today when I saw the picture of the victorian cats, posted in June of 2011, as I just purchased the same one in an antique store in New Philadelphia, Ohio last week! I just wanted you to know the story behind the picture. Each kitten represents the five senses! One is "tasting" the lotion, one is "seeing" himself in the mirror, one is "hearing" the clock tick, one is "smelling" the roses and the last one is "touching" the glove.
What a beautiful interpretation!
This is my first time ever blogging, but I tought it was important enough to pass that info.on to you, so I might as well start somewhere! Hope you enjoy the picture as much as I do!!

Jenn Thorson said...

Joanna- Oh, thank you very much for the information! I had never looked at the print from that perspective. All I was thinking was, "Wow, those kittens are really getting into mischief!" How fun!