Roses, Pinks and Prying Paws

This past week was an unexpectedly productive thrifting week, and I wasn't even trying. Needing a break at work one day, I happened to the Salvation Army thrift store at lunch and came upon my favorite items of the week-- some lady's hand-painted and transferware plate collection.

As you can see above, I chose three which never left their original plate hangers and got hung on my own wall in record time.

Here's a close up of one of my favorites. I love the soft gradated background...
This one reminds me of a plate I have displayed in my china cabinet. The greens and pinks are perfect for my diningroom...
And lastly, this little gold rimmed number appears to have some hand-painted details...
There must have been about 20 different plates there of various styles-- some in jewel tones, some in less dynamic rose prints. I've been wondering whether these two chocolate/coffee cups might not have been from the same home...
And last, I found a giant pink-lidded Tupperware storage container to help keep prying paws out of the kibble. (You can see one perpetrator there.) Earlier in the week I had MELTED most of my pink Tupperware in an accident so dumb, I had to write a humor piece about it. You can share in my horror by clicking here.

And that's it from me for now! Take care, friends, and I hope you have a great rest of your week.

11 comments:

Lili said...

Y'know, for ages we had a similar Tupperware container, a translucent one with a round secondary lid. It was used to mix and hold orange juice [from frozen concentrate]. Haven't thought of it in years...

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Those plates are lovely! What a nice display you have on your wall. I have to keep the kibble in a plastic container also or someone gets into it by making a hole in the bag....bad kitty.

Andrea said...

Gorgeous plates! Just my style.
Alice looks a little perturbed. Could she be trying to think of a way to get that spout open? I know that our Disney would knock it off of the counter, hoping that the lid would pop completely off. He should have been in Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen!

Places In The Home said...

Super finds! The cabbage rose is a beautiful inspiration for china patterns. My son bought me a gorgeous Limoges cake plate for Mother's Day at an auction years ago and I treasure it. Different subject but congrats on the Hull haul! Love the pieces.

Best,
Darleen

Jenn Thorson said...

Darleen- Oh, what a thoughtful son you have to pay attention to the sorts of things you like. Thank you regarding the Hull-- I still stare at the pieces in glee. :)

Nancy said...

Oh, I LOVE those plates. Are they Bavarian? My Mom had a collection of them. I never knew that Tupperware was ever made with pink lids. I will watch at Impact for you. At which SA did you find the pretty plates?

Jenn Thorson said...

Nancy- I believe at least one of them are, I think one is Czech. I need to look again at the marks. This was our South Side Pittsburgh Salvation Army.

Jenn Thorson said...

Lili- Yes, my grandmother used Tupperware similar to that for iced tea. I think it would work well for cereal, too.

Linda- Ah, yes, I know exactly what you mean about those holey bags. My white cat Alice can get into them as soon as I bring them home if I don't watch her. :)

Andrea- That's my little buddy Harry, and yes, he did EXACTLY what you described with my smaller Tupperware containers, helping himself to extra kibble. They are smart.

Laur said...

Those plates remind me of my mother. She loves old-world practical art like that. They are lovely.

Laurel
www.abunadantempress.blogspot.com

Country Lady said...

Hi! I just recently found your blog and wanted to let you know I really enjoy it! You find such lovely things. I love thrifting, yardsaling and antiqing also, though I am sparadic about it.I can relate the the kitty adventures, though I must confess, I fall into the category of "Crazy Cat Lady" as I have 4 cats! I actually intended to have 3, but one of the barn kittens got into some trouble and I am a softy! Anyways I just wanted to introduce myself since I have been reading your blog!

Melanie said...

Love the roses!

And really? Cat food and tupperware ON the stove. Did you learn nothing from having it in the oven??? ;)

Actually, almost missed the catfood because I was staring at the pyrex bowl in the background wondering where I've seen one before. LOL! I've got one on the shelf right behind me.