Treasure Box Wednesday: Coming Up Roses

In my recent travels to Fiestaland, I did pick up a few goodies at the surrounding antique malls which I thought I'd share with you today.

From Pottery City, I got this rather unusual hand-painted, art nouveau style bust...
She's just plaster and probably isn't very old. I suspect she was someone's craft project, someone with an eye for detail who thought that what usually took on a uniform bronze cast would benefit from a bit of color and livening up...


I liked her because of the cheery pastel colors, her luster overcoat, and the careful painting of the piece. (Also because she was cheap!) So she lives in my blue sitting room very happily next to a vintage rose painting.

And speaking of roses, I couldn't resist this great vintage print of a lady in a garden, carrying a bushel of fresh flowers...The vibrant color caught my eye right away! It just felt like summer to me.

And lastly, at that same antique store in Columbiana, Ohio, I found these Fiesta (yeah, I know: surprise) candlesticks...
They were $10 for the pair. Which made me chuckle a bit, because apparently different grades of Fiesta-- condition, whether they're discontinued or not, maybe even manufacturing runs-- can cause pieces that seem to look virtually identical (at least to my untrained eye) shoot off into the skyrocketed-crazy price range. I mean, one vendor at Pottery City had a pair of orange candlesticks in this very same style-- possibly from the 30s-- for...

(Wait for it...

Are you sitting down?...

Good. Because you'll need to.)

That vendor had ones in this very same style for...

Over $900!

G-ah! Yes, yes, I know-- rarity, condition, blah, blah, blah-- but OH WOW.

And I've seen ones for $20, $30, and $80 as well. Just goes to show, it's very important to know what you want to pay for things, and stick to it. If I had $900 candlesticks, I think I'd never use them. I'd just put them in a clear glass box with a spotlight on them and charge for tours.

And is that really what Fiesta-- such usable dishware-- is about?

13 comments:

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Katie,
I am with you on those candlesticks!! I would definitely be charging admission to see them! LOL!! Lucky you!! That painting is just to die for!! And I really adore that bust! The colors are spectacular!!! I am planning on visiting my local Salvation Army this morning on a quest for some treasures!
Debbie

Jaffer said...

Gosh that painting is beautiful !

But a $900 candlestick made of clay ? Insane ! I'd ask for a 99% discount !

Jenn Thorson said...

Debbie- I hope you find some good stuff at Sally's! You know, I don't think we'd get back our money on those candlesticks from the tours, either. :)

Jaffer- Oh, I know-- I suppose value is all relative, but YIPES, that sounded excessive to me.

Lois said...

Hey Jenn!
Well if you did have $900 candlesticks and had tours to see them you could recoup your money in no time at all! LOL!
Thanks for sharing, as always.
BTW, I did like the little plate under the bowl in the backgroud of the candlestick pics. Wery nige!
Have a great rest of the week.
Lois

Jenn Thorson said...

Lois- I don't know-- because the $900 ones look just like my $10 ones but in a different color! :)

The little plate under the bowl was a thrifted item from quite a while back. It's transferware. You have a great week, too!

Melanie said...

Aarrghhh!! I'm green with envy over those candle sticks. They'd go perfectly in my livingroom! Great buy. I don't see much fiesta in my area, and certainly none that's $900! WOW!

My Vintage Treasures said...

The bust is so sweet, luv the colors too!!!

Anonymous said...

The candle sticks are awesome!!

Alex M said...

What I can't get over, is how you manage to keep it all so clean!

Jenn Thorson said...

Melanie- You will have to rough me up to get my candlesticks. :)

Vintage Treasures- Thank you-- delighted someone else appreciates it, too.

Needle & Hook- Thanks for visiting!

Alex- Oh, you didn't see the big dust balls that like to accumulate when I'm not looking and impersonate small pets. Or the hurricane that comes through when I'm in the middle of a project. :)

Colleen said...

I am so 'totally down' with those candleholders! They look like museum pieces. Georgeous! Jenn, ever since I moved here, neighbors have heralded the awesomeness of a flea market called "Rodgers" in Ohio. Have you been and if so, what were your impressions? Worth the trip? Thanks! Colleen

Melony at Whimsy Daisy! said...

I love the lady with roses...I have one just like her. The colors are so very vibrant, just like you say and doesn't she have a sweet face? I was tickled to see her on your blog, as I posted a picture of her not very long ago on my blog. We have good taste, dahling! lol!

Jennifer said...

I am of the belief that all the crap I drag home from the thrift stores and flea markets, whether valuble or not, has to be used to be enjoyed!! Otherwise, what is the point? The luxury of using all these wonderful items is what drives me to search for them in the first place. And really, what is value? I don't resell the stuff, and when did anyone ever see a luggage wrack on a hearse?