Autumn Tablescapes: Fun in the Fall


How can you decorate for Fall on a budget? I had fun with it this year using some vintage Carnival glass, and a few discount rack items from Bed Bath and Beyond.

While I love the marigold Carnival glass, orange is not really my favorite color. I think I was scared by Harvest Colors as a child in the 70s...

So my base colors in Autumn are usually sage green and purple, with the Carnival glass serving as my warmer tones. I got the set of Jeannette Glass plates in the Anniversary pattern from Graham's antique mall in Ligonier...
And the grape patterned goblets and centerpiece bowl were thrift store finds.

The leaf placemats were a little over a dollar a piece at Bed Bath and Beyond.

The chair covers are actually 90 inch round tablecloths I got from BB&B's discount area. While chair covers were running a too-pricey $20 a piece, these were less than half that, and I just pinned them at the back with vintage brooches I already had....

They help protect the chair from my enthusiastic kitten friend, Alice...
She's not allowed up on the table, but she feels the need to supervise all activity for quality control...
We're still working on a few things. (Like "no climbing on the table.")

I'm also still working on the Halloween mantle, but you can see where I'm going with it. I need to find a permanent home for that lamp, but it's just so darned pretty I haven't moved it.
The little papier mache style decorations were largely from Tuesday Morning a year or two ago, just after the Halloween season.

And that's what I've been up to this week. I realized that as of September 11, The Thrift Shop Romantic was officially four years old! I'm not sure what that makes it in blogging years-- but I suspect it's about entitled to Social Security benefits.

So have a piece of virtual cake and celebrate with me! And I hope to see you again on Wednesday!

8 comments:

Lili said...

The ultimate trick for cats in well-decorated houses is to work out a way to be curled around a fancy glass centerpiece amid all of your carefully arranged place settings [preferably ones with goblets for each potential guest].

The cat then looks up at you as you enter the room, laughing silently as you realize that you _can't_ scold the cat for being in the middle of the table, because you are now afraid of startling the animal into leaping away breaking everything.

Kitty WINS!1!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Great decorating! Love the colors on that table.

Jenn Thorson said...

Lili- Oh, yes! I am rapidly becoming familiar with that one!

I am amazed, however, how remarkably she tends to wind herself around the most delicate of objects with no harm to them. It's a cat superpower.

Mindy said...

OOH, pretty table. You inspired me to take out my green and gold pieces this week and do a "buffetscape." I enjoy how you combine new with old and use things, like brooches, that aren't normally considered table decor.

Janelle said...

Happy birthday to your blog! I really enjoy it.

The orange plates just glow against the greens and purples on your table. I think that is a wonderful fall color scheme!

Jenn Thorson said...

MommaMindy- Oh the green and gold sounds really nice-- very warm and festive! Brooches can be used for napkin holders, too. It's fun to repurpose things. Adds a little whimsy!

Janelle- Hey, thank you so much! That glow is what I love about carnival glass.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Love your blog!

http://www.initiatelifesequence.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

You are just so creative! Those chair covers are such a fantastic idea.
I have only been married just over a year and some of our furniture came from our previous bachelor homes. Our dining table is beautiful light oak, but the matching chairs are chocolate brown leather. Very nice but also very masculine. Seeing what you have done has inspired me. It will give me a way of ringing the changes and just softening the look.
You are one clever cookie!
Smiles.