A Trip to the Faire: Greater Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival

"I took a trip down to look at the fair
When I arrived, there was nobody there..."
--Renaissance
I've had the song from the 70s prog-rock band Renaissance running through my head since yesterday. And like that song, my quiet morning in rural West Newton, PA, suddenly transformed into a busy, bustling, magical afternoon of jesters and joking and majestic color.

Welcome to the Shire, where anachronism, entertainment, games, and swordplay abound-- along with food, crafts, and heavy textiles swelter under sunny skies.

You could start with some games. Tell me, how are you with Ye Olde Archery? Can you split your foe's arrow in twain? ...

(No, me neither.)

How about lob produce for fun at some poor dude in the stocks, in "Vegetable Justice"? (I had to take a pic of that, it just made me laugh...)Maybe some grog is more to your liking?

Or you'd like to sit in a wooded glen and enjoy a musical performance...
A parade signals a joust will begin soon...

Here comes da Queen...
And here a rather oversized version of His Royal Majesty. Just look at that papier mache turkey leg behind him... It must be four foot tall. (It's good to be the King!)...

Sir Mitri, of Spain, seems to be eyeing up this girl's lunch...
He gets so busy jousting, pillaging and wenching there really isn't a lot of time for a sensible meal these days .

We all gather for the upcoming tournament. A local Faerie has a minor wardobe malfunction, but doesn't seem to mind.
The crowd gathers, and it's ready to see some energetic combat!...
I notice my favorite knight from last year, Sir Roderick, has made his debut once more. This time, he's on the side of good. I guess he learned his lesson from last year's "cheat to win" mantra...

He wears the colors of black-and-gold... Always popular in Steelers territory.He takes on Sir Mitri, though Spanish-English relations don't seem to improve for the exercise.

Having won a test of skill, Sir Roderick bestows upon a shy spectacled princess, his "Queen of Love and Beauty" favor for the day, giving her a garland of flowers. She didn't know quite what to do with all the attention.

Along the way, I picked up a couple of pieces of handcrafted jewelry, a fine lunch of fish and chips, and a rather remarkable case of sunburn-- the latter souvenir was completely free.

I am a girl who always enjoys a bargain. :)

Hope you all have a terrific rest of your Labor Day weekend. I'll see you again later in the week.

3 comments:

Lois said...

Thanks so much Jenn for sharing your pictures. It looks like fun was had by all who were there.

healy said...

YOU'VE done a good job and thank you so much for sharing the most important moments of your life. It seem that you're having fun:)

Jenn Thorson said...

Lois- Happy to! Everybody really gets into the spirit of it, so it ends up being a lot of fun.

Healy- It's the little things that make life entertaining.