Treasure Box Wednesday: Cut-Price Clip Art

It's been kind of a rough week for me in the ol' offline world, as my dad has spent it in the hospital and my mind has spent it swirling around, distracted. But I did get a little mental break by hitting Half Price Books, and that's where I uncovered some really fun Dover clip-art CDs in vintage advertising, antique textiles and Celtic pattern themes.

The vintage advertising particularly made me happy. Not only are there royalty-free vintage images I can use here on the blog to make things pretty for you folks...
But I noticed one of the illustrations was actually from George Hood, an early 1900s artist who was considered one of the very best who worked in the Maxfield Parrish style...
I actually have a book illustrated by him, and I love the rich colors and fairytale type imagery.

I will have fun, too, playing around with some of these elaborate Celtic patterns...
And the textiles should be really useful for backgrounds. Possibly even a little tweak to the blog?...
So, that's what's in the Treasure Box this week! Thanks much for stopping by-- as always! The blog would be nothin' without you good folks!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is doing better!

I would absolutely have thought that one picture was by Maxfield Parrish. I love it, too, the colors are wonderful. I have a Dover clip-art book with vintage fruit and vegetable crate labels. I really should do something with it someday...LOL.

Toni said...

My regards and prayers for your Dad's speedy recovery...

Anonymous said...

I do hope things turn out well for your dad, its awful when someone we care about is really unwell and we are powerless to make them better.

I love the old advertising stuff - I have a lot of postcards (reproductions not originals) of the European hot spots at the turn of the last century. I just love the glamour of these old postcards - the women in their Mainbocher and Chanel monkey-trimmed travelling outfits, the wonderful colours of the artwork and the slogans that invite us to St Moritz or Grasse or wherever. They just enchant me.
Quite sure I have been born in the wrong era and income bracket!

Jenn Thorson said...

Thanks so much, everyone. We're working through some serious things with regards to Dad's health, but what can you do?-- gotta carry on. I'll let him know you folks are rooting him on.